Question to Eternity + Cot50 owners

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by newstrat60, May 19, 2006.

1. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Hi...

... so, which pedal of this combo do you use for rythm, which one for leads ?
    and which one seats before the other in the chain ?
    at last, those who play in a clean amp, please mention it

thanks

i'm asking because I like my E in my clean blues jr both for rythm & lead, and i'm curious about what the Cot could bring...

:)

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I used my Cot50 Red for pushing the Etern for a legato feel to solo's. Although, the Cot sounds great just thumping the front end of any amp...sounds great into a clean amp too.

3. JayDA

JayDA Member

I use the COT to provide a "gritty" sort of rhythm sound in front of a semi-clean amp (59 bassman RI) and also as a push for my E. Like someone else said, it adds a little more saturation and a thicker more sustaining character to the mix.

4. entraind

entraind Member

+1

I use them in front of a Mesa Lonestar or Carr Imperial on the verge of breakup. COT does rhythm and occasional feature parts and E or (usually) COT>E for leads...

5. mprvise

mprvise Member

Yep yep yep. I use the COT > E on 90% of my gigs. COT is usually used for chord work (very open and defined sounding) and some single string stuff, especially when doing fills and harmonies with the other guitar player. The Eternity is used for most solo work, with or without the COT. I use this set up with all my amps, but mainly a Two-Rock Artist (dialed for a bit of hair on the clean channel) and Bruno CT22 (volume at 2:00 - 3:00 - nice break up with guitar volume all the way up - REALLY nice when adding the COT!).

6. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

so basically, you guys use Cot for rythm / E for leads...

i can understand that, because whereas the E has a great chord definition IMO, its "sustain" effect, even at low gain, sometimes makes chordwork difficult...

7. entraind

entraind Member

Exactly, If you dial in the E for low gain you can use it for rhythm, but the COT is such a natural for rhythm and the E is such a natural for sustaining leads that they seem to fit those roles well.

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I often turn the gain all the way down on my E and use it as a boost after my COT - this gives me the COT flavor at a higher gain level and allows the use of the tone control on the E to further dial in the sound. The only problem is that then you have to turn the gain back up on the E when you want to use if for leads. This technique also works great with a lovepedal Balance pedal. I run my current set-up like: Balance --> COT --> Eternity. With the gain down on the E, this gives me three single pedal options (the E actually sounds great with the gain all the way off!) and two boosted pedal options - each tone is distinct from the others - I love options!

9. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Those of you that use the COT for rhythm work. Are you using the
    Red or blue? and can you get that Marshall feel and sound without getting muddy?

Rock ON:RoCkIn

10. mprvise

mprvise Member

Red, and yes (depending on the amp and settings of course).

BTW - Went and played with my former band last night. They are a jam band with MANY opportunities for solos. I found myself soloing with the COT just as much as the E. When the COT is pushing an amp already well into power tube distortion (in this case a Bruno CT22) it is OMFG good!!!!!