Question to high end cables users

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blueprint, Jul 6, 2008.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

First of all, I have to say that I'm really conviced that cables makes a difference in tone, I experimented that with my hi fi system and was blown away...

This said, electric guitar is far from hi fi and I'm a bit reluctant to spend the value of a pedal in buying a simple cable.

I already use George L cables both in pedalboard and from guitar to pedals and pedals to amp. I choose them mostly for the non-soldering system.

Sometimes, I plug some of my "old" cables, and frankly, I cannot hear any difference.

But I hear a big difference in clarity when I put my buffered Klon out of my chain!

So, my question is: does those high end cables makes a difference in tone when playing live with a band, in a buffered chain? Isn't a good buffer a better investment?

2. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Playing in a band the audience will NOT notice and most likely your bandmates will not notice either with the use of a high end cable, but if your ears are sensitive to your rig you should notice an inprovement, obviously not as much when band is cranking and drums are pounding.

Buffers are typically a great idea, especially if you have long cable run(s) back to your amp or lots of pedals. From what I have read here on TGP and other forums as well as emails I have recieved a high end cable can still make a difference even when a buffer is used...

My $.02

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hi Bruno...I'll be a little more point blank...I used GLs for years until Chrissy came over with some Evidnece cables which we inserted one by one throughout my entire chain...everywhere we substituted the EA cables there was a quite noticeable difference in bass response...string separation not too mention that the highs were quite a bit more pleasent...

I shudder to think how much gear testing I did with GLs in my signal path and how many tonal decisions I made based on hearing my sound through GLs...probably sold a lot of gear that didn't need to be sold because of the harsh high end or lack of bass response that the GLs imparted on my tone...

the EA cables are expensive but worth it IMO...there are also many many other great choices in cables to choose from which are preferable to GLs IME...see if you can borrow some different types of cables and compare them to the GLs...we did some cable testing at the first Euro Tone fest and it surprised many people...myself included...I was shocked at the difference...or if you can come to one of our EuroTone fests near Frankfurt and hear it for yourself:eek:

oh yes the difference is noticeable to me in a band context...I also use a Klon but my buffer is out of my chain on a loop that way I can have it in my chain or not...the Klon's buffer with the GLs and with the EA cables is like night and day...GLs+Klon equals harsh & bass loss + plus buffer vs. the EA cables+Klon which equals fullrange...neutral...balance from top to bottom...nice and punchy full bass with no mud & great string seperation + buffer...

Chow,
    Seegs

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I notice it on stage. Not sure about anyone else. It was a lot of change all at once for me ... put together my first pedal board, with lavacables, started using lavacables for guitar to board and board to amp, put a new speaker in my main gigging amp. Hard to pin down the differences, but for the cable part, I'd say it comes down to clarity. It's just all there, if that makes any sense. All the low end, all the high end, nothing missing. Totally worth it IMO. Everything sounds so good to me now. It's a pleasure to stand in front of that stuff and play.

5. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

IMO cables make a diff even when a buffer is used. I understand your investment concerns. I went with Sommer Spirit cable which is only little bit more expensive than Planet Waves, Dimarzio etc... I've been very happy. I feel that I have excellent cable without spending a fortune, and without carrying it so far that I can't even hear the difference playing with a band.

So maybe start slow- get some lower priced fancy cable and see how you like it.

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I absolutely agree. I have 4 buffers on the board... Morley BH2, Sobbat PB-2, Boss DD-7, and a Moollon Signal Boost at the end. Very little difference when running through the board vs. straight in to the amp. And still, I can easily hear the difference between a Zaolla and a Vovox or an EA Melody and a Lava ELC even running through my board with those buffers there. Not specifically which cable is which, but simply which sounds better to me, with my rig. Personally, the Vovox is my fave tonally and also has the added benefit of being featherweight and almost unnaturally flexible.

-Ben