Question to Suhr owners

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dankayaker, Nov 17, 2005.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a Suhr (played one years ago and haven't been able to forget about it)

I love extremely low action, would I be just as happy with an older Suhr as with a newer one that had been Plex'd ?

Also, regarding tone . . . . . how different does a Classic T (with contours and 3 singles) sound than a Classic S (with strat configuration). Don't much care about "twang" but have heard some Tele tones that I really dug . . .but I'd want those nice position 2 & 4Strat tones also.

thanks

2. george4908

george4908 Member

I have a "pre-Plek" Suhr (oh, god, I didn't really just type that, did I?), and the action and fretwork is as dead perfect as any guitar I've played. Buy with confidence!

An earlier Suhr I owned was a 3-pickup T-style -- Tele bridge pickup and 2 Strat pickups at the neck and middle. All the in-between quack you could ask for, but because the guitar had a hardtail, I won't say that the neck pickup alone sounded like a Strat. Still a fine guitar; often wish I had that one back. Oh, and the fretwork was superb on this one, too.

3. jero

jero Member

My Suhr is also frm the "pre-PLEK era". Althoug I'm sure the PLEK job will bring the fretwork closer to perfection I think you will be pretty impressed with the fretjob done on the pre-PLEK Suhrs.

4. mude

mude Supporting Member

Nice to have one that has been "Pleked", but all the Suhr that I have played over the years have had amazing fretwork and could be setup with low action. I would not sweat it out if you find an older one that speaks to you. If it becomes important to you, Suhr can Plek an older model for you.

Suhr has done a nice done of using technology to really make consistently great guitars (in my biased opinion). Have fun finding one that is right for you.

Evan.

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Yeh . .I'm sure pre and post plex Suhrs play great . . . .I was just wondering
    if there is a discernable difference.

6. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I would say given a batch of pre and post plek suhrs in the same room, the plek ones might be more consistently 'perfect' with real low action. But the pre-plek ones were so well done that it is really subtle, and at medium or higher action you probably couldn't even tell.
    I don't think the plek is all about correcting what a master builder does with frets, but more about taking the guesswork out, and more quickly getting a 100% rate of perfectly level frets for every guitar. Over the 5 suhrs I have owned, and the others I have played owned by friends, about half are preplek and half plek. The pre-plek all play and feel fantastic. The plek ones play fantastic and also seem to be nearly identical in the way they feel (given same fret size and string gauge). I would say the plek offers repeatability of an exact spec 100 percent of the time.
    Keep in mind that suhr will plek an older model for you at a pretty low cost, and will keep the spec on file for future fretwork,etc. They are real quick getting it back too. I had a classic re-fretted and it was turned around in a couple weeks. A plek would be even faster I would think.

7. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

All my Suhrs are Pleked, so I can't comment on the pre-Plek...
    But to give you an example, my latest Suhr has the lowest action I've ever seen on any guitar.
    It measures less than 1mm at the first fret, and less than 1/16 at the 22 fret. Absolutely no buzz at all.
    Steve

8. Doug

Doug Member

I bought my 2003 Suhr Classic brand new from a dealer just a few months ago. The dealer offered to send it to John to have it Pleked free of charge. I didn't even bother because the fretwork is great! The dealer told me that the machine probably wouldn't do much even if I did have it Pleded because John's fretwork is so damn good to begin with. Like Matt said, the machine just expedites the process and takes the guesswork out of it. Besides, the non-Pleked Suhrs are more hand-made anyway ;) .

Doug

9. shoe

shoe Member

When you combine the PLEK with stainless steel frets, then you have a significant difference between older and newer Suhrs.

I thought my older Suhr played great. When I got my most recent one with SS frest and the PLEK system, I was completely blown away at how much easier it played.

Seriously......I'm so spoiled by the SS frets and the PLEK process that I can't play certain licks as well on my older Suhrs!

10. FredW

FredW Member

I have two pre pleked Suhrs and the fret work is flawless

11. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

At what point did they start using the plek machine?