Question to those that gig or play out regularly.

Boeing bloke

Of course this refers to pre COVID and eventually after COVID.

Did you keep a rig ready to travel and have other gear for woodshedding?

Or did you have “your main rig” that you packed and unpacked every time?

My guess would be that it depends on how much gear and how much space you have.

Just curious.

weshunter

Silver Supporting Member
I have a main rig that is my primary Pedalboard (big for me) and then a few different amps/direct solutions depending on the gig. I also use all of those in my studio for recording and practicing.

RRfireblade

I have a separate gigging rig ready to go. It stays at the rehearsal space. We all load out from there. I have two practice rigs setup at my home studio. On occasion though, I may take a different rig to a gig, just cuz. Either for a change or maybe if the gig requires something different. I do original music exclusively, so my needs are pretty much whatever I want them to be in not dependent on coping a certain sound.

TL;DR

I have a separate gigging rig ready to go. It stays at the rehearsal space. We all load out from there. I have two practice rigs setup at my home studio. On occasion though, I may take a different rig to a gig, just cuz. Either for a change or maybe if the gig requires something different.
If you are in a band, you probably keep your main rig at the rehearsal space (unless it’s a modeler that’s super portable). If you are a sub, I’d assume you’d have stuff ready just in case

sleewell

I leave my gigging amp and cab at our rehearsal spot. Before a show we all meet there to load up, it's really close to my house.

At home I practice with a different guitar so I'm not changing strings on a floyd as often and use a quilter into a 4x12. I either use the helix I use for shows or my AX8.

So basically I only bring my double guitar gig bag and helix backpack back and forth.

Jim234

I have my gigging rig ready to go. The only caveat is that I do play my gigging guitars occasionally at home to keep them broken in.

Having two rigs as it were is a luxury. When I started out my practice gear and gigging gear were the same.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
I always have a usable rig in the car... if I need to sub in at the last minute (it happens), I grab the guitars I need and head out. There's a small 20W head and 1x12 cab in my car, a 906 to mic it with, my vocal mic and stand, and my main pedalboard. If I use a pedal to practice it's usually a single pedal and I don't need to be humping a large pedalboard in and out of the house. For a while I used to drive around with a cheap Tele back there too in case I got a call when I was away from home. That happened so rarely that I stopped.

lowyaw

My "proper" rig is now a decoration of my music room, it's been so for the last 10 yrs; may be 7, with some exceptions. These days, I've got a Tele and a POD Floorboard ready to go as soon as somebody offers money or fun. Or both :p

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
What I use depends on the gig so no one setup but when things were active I had a basic setup or 2 (big/small amp, biG/small pedalboard etc.)

Details depending on where and when and type of gig etc.

Franklin

Supporting Member
I leave amps at rehearsal spots and take my pedalboard and guitars home. I have a practice amp set up here.

DonaldDemon

My basement studio is our main rehearsal space so I use my main rig at home. I actually use more at home with a stereo rig and two cabs plus a slave amp, though I only bring the main amp + cab to shows. We occasionally rehearse at my bassists house and there I bring my auxiliary rig so my main rig is always at home. I bought an extra 4x12 and an OR15 to leave there when we move practice to his house, and I have a second pedalboard to use. The only thing that comes home with me is my guitar. Of course, this is when we were gigging regularly, which is sadly not the case anymore.

Last edited:

poppunk

Band 1: Rehearsal space is hourly rental, so we can't leave stuff there. They have a backline, so I just run into the power amp of the available amp. Also have to park about 2-3 blocks away generally. I'm building a new setup with IEM just for myself with my guitar and my backing vocals as inputs. Use that in one ear then custom ear plug in the other ear so I can hear everybody else. Still small and portable.

Band 2: Rehearsal space is guitar player's basement. Drummer leaves his stuff there. The guitar player has a 100 lb Road King, a ginormous pedalboard, and uses 3 guitars for our band. I use two guitars, a Kemper, and no amp in the room whatsoever (used to leave a Mustang GT 200 there, but sold it because pointless). The bass player, my guitar, and mine/bass player vocals go straight into the IEM setup with no in room sound. We practice like we play with the IEM, although sometimes the guitar player does guitar player things and cranks her amp up so much in the room because she wants to "feel it" that it actually is louder than what's in our ears. The IEM rack is a short 6U, it gets left there. I often leave a guitar there sine I use two for tuning changes, and just retune that one unless we're time rehearsing for a show.

fjrabon

Some of both. Our rehearsal space is at my house, so it always gets taken home. I have two fully separate rigs plus a small THR practice amp. So if it’s a quick turnaround the gigging rig will stay in cases/covers. Otherwise I tend to unpack it.

But it isn’t much to pack and unpack it. Just slip on the amp head and cab covers, toss two guitars in the mono dual gig bag, put the pedal board in its bag. I keep all my gigging cables and power strips in the gig bags, so no worrying about making sure I have all that.

the biggest pain is if I have to break down and load up the PA (which we use for rehearsal). If it’s just my guitar stuff, I can go from noodling in the house to loaded up in the car and ready in 15 minutes.

Last edited:

Baba

Supporting Member
I basically use my gigging rig (Helix Floor/IEMs) for everything, because it does everything. Like, if I want to work on tones, obviously, I'm using it, if I want to record, I can use it, silent playing/recording, (I live in an apartment), etc. I just unpack it when I want to use it.

Having said that, when we DO rehearse, that is with amps, so, I did get a Marshall DSL40c early this year in trade, that I have here, and it actually sounds really good at low volume, so, once in a while, I'll plug that in.

My band only rehearses to learn new songs, or learn special songs for weddings, so, we probably rehearse about 8-12 times/year max, so, we rent a room (by the hour), at a rehearsal studio for a couple of hours at a time, so obviously we don't keep any gear there.

Guitarwiz007

Silver Supporting Member
These days I'm using Kemper Stage (still have my Headrush stuff though). I put it in a case so it's very easy to transport. I use it for home as well but it's not big deal. Two plugs and I'm up and running. Now that I have it set up, I don't really tweak it much anymore. I have my sounds and they work. In the old days, I would keep a seperate amp at home and one that I use for rehearsal and gigs at our rehearsal space. Just loaded up from there. I still keep a Fly Rig in the truck with a bag for cables and such. It's also my emergency backup rig and on occasion, I've had just enough time to grab a guitar and just use that for a fill in. But, I can get everything in one trip with the Kemper if I need to so these days, I really just cart it back and forth. It's absolutely no big deal.

DrumBob

Gold Supporting Member
I have one pedalboard and two amps I can use for gigs. That's all I need. I practice unplugged at home. I know my stompboxes and the settings I want, so there's no reason to set everything up and wail at home.

ranchofm

I have a pile of guitars and amps, but I have one rig (+ one guitar and a backup) that's set up for the tones and effects I need gigging with my band (mostly covers) and a home rig, which is suited more to inspired experimentation and recording. It has taken me quite a few years to get to that point.

hunter

Supporting Member
I use my gig stuff when I am practicing/rehearsing but it is all kitted with all the needed extra stuff packed so I can unplug and pack board and guitar and go without checking to see if everything is in the bag/on the board. Things like guitar/XLR cables and power/extension/ cords I use for practice and rehearsal stay in my rehearsal space since the cables/cords for the gig are already in the "kits". That way I am less likely to forget stuff. Though I have to admit a couple of years back I showed up at the gig and my guitar was still in the living room. Fortunately it was a 20 minute drive. I have been more careful about that since.

JagFan

Part of practicing for me is getting to know what works in the context of any given song. Having a second rig with totally different pedals/ amp/ guitar would defeat some of the point for me.

I'm not in a position to have two of everything and so I take my main rig to and from practice every time and unpack at home to use there too.