Questiona about Floyd Rose install on a Strat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by burner, Sep 14, 2008.

1. burner

burner Member

I've got a Classic Player 50s strat which I believe has a 9.5" radius.
    (locking tuners,custom pickups/wiring, 2pt brigde with vintage saddles)

Anyway, I'm hell-bent on installing a Floyd Rose on it.
    However, I don't want to get halfway through the process only to find out it won't work well for whatever reason....

Q: What do I need to know about this preocedure in regards to fretboard radius,scale length,nut placemet, etc?
    Any helpful tips would be suggested.

Look, if I could find any other system that would keep it in tune and allow dramatic dive-bombing bends up/down, I'm open to those suggestions as well.
    (so far I've not found anything that does)

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

oh, the horror!

when you're done, it will feel and sound like a different guitar. whether you like that guitar or hate it will be anybody's guess, and it's a one-way conversion.

floyds were originally designed for strats, so if it's done right, it will "work" just fine.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Extensive routing is needed to accommodate the OFR and the neck needs the locknut table cutting. also best done by the Stewmac dremol router base and jig (can be cut by hand.) Then you need to make a post locater jig from perspex and cut the scatchplate .Fitting a Floyd is one of the most extensive alterations you can make and expensive.In fact you could probably buy a S/H USA.Floyd classic Strat of Ebay for the cost of a pro job, and it's defiantly not one for the DIY beginner.
    However if you are experienced in setups and pickup routes etc you may want to give it a go but don't say I didn't warn ya.

4. burner

burner Member

I can handle the woodworking aspects just fine.

I guess the thing I'm most concerned with is how do they match with the fingerboard radius? Adjustable to conform to them?

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

No the locknut is fixed at 10" and the bridge is also fixed at a not very accurate 12". Steel shims for the saddles can be got from Allparts and the lock nut will just have to do as no one makes a 9.5".

6. burner

burner Member

Thanks for that info.

7. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

a perfect way to ruin your strat imo.

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

It will sound different but there are plenty of good sounding guitars that have Floyds on them, look at the one's Suhr makes.:dude