Questions about a 1996 Fender Custom Shop Relic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Docgab, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Docgab

Docgab Member

I just picked up a gold with gold hardware 1996 Fender Custom Shop relic, COA says July '96. Light relicing, great neck, blonde with flame.

Any one know what pickups should be in the guitar? I am guessing some sort of Fender custom.

Also, should this be a Cunetto era relic?

Anyway, cool guitar:RoCkIn thanks for any info

2. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

That is when Vince was doing the 'relic thing', so yes, it's a Cunetto.

Whaich Strat is it? a '50's Relic, a '60's?

Jamie

P.S. My '96 Mary Kay Cunetto '50s Relic arrived last week and I'm lovin' it!

P.P.S. If you ever want to sell it, I call 'DIBS!' :D

P.P.P.S. I'm Serious!

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

My 2nd EJ rivals the Cunetto that I have, but da*n those Cunetto's are good. I love my '50 Cunetto Relic.

4. Docgab

Docgab Member

Thanks for the responses. It is a 1950's Relic. It has one of the most tasteful relic jobs that I have seen, not over done. The neck is one of the best that I have played, nicely rolled.

The pickups are a little thin sounding compared to my GVCG '61 Triple Burst S-type (Hamel pups). I am thinking about dropping a spare set of Hamels in the Relic. Who knows maybe I should leave well enough alone:NUTS .

By the way, what is a guitar like this worth? I was looking for a Baker B1 and ran across the Relic in a Guitar Center of all places.

5. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

They're listed on e-bay from $2600 up to almost $4000. The one's that have sold on e-bay seem to go in the $2600-3000 range. Oh, and having the Custom Shop Certificate is a big plus!

How much was yours (if you don't mind me asking?)

Jamie

6. Relicula

Relicula Member

A Cunetto relic should have the custom shop logo stamped in the headstock, no decals on Cunetto's. Its not cut and dried by the year built only. Remember, Fender was producing several runs of custom shop stuff, 1 of 25, and 1of 250, numbers like that also.

As far as pickups are concerned, thats a tough one. I have had 7 Cunetto relics, and the rule of thumb to me was that no custom shop stickers appeared on the Cunneto relic's pickups, but that theory has been tested by some others without finding.

I know the one relic I had with custom shop stickers on the pickups, did not sound as good as the others, but to look at them, and figure out if they were different, it was very hard to tell.

If you have the opportunity, check the pots of the guitar, if it has been re-soldered, then a pickup change was probably done. Nice neat soldering should tell you, for the most part, that they are probably original. Hear the words though probably, and for the most part. You could change the pickguard assy all together, and make it look right.

The FDP may have some more definitive info on this subject, do your search there.

As far as Cunetto's are concerned, they are as close as the real deal as you can get in todays market from Fender, IMO. Nitro finish, acoustically rich, resonant guitars. The neck radius on a Cunetto will not be period correct, for you guys that like 7.25 necks, you must adapt to 9.25 or thereabouts, I forget the actual fraction above 9, but you get my drift.

Cunetto's are fast rising in the price dept, they wont be getting any cheaper. I have sold all of mine except one, and just couldnt find myself getting rid of it. Very cool Fenders, my favorite.

7. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I'm not an expert on CS Relic Strats, but I don't think Vince Cunetto was the only one making them at that time.

I have a John Page CS Strat that ( I think ...) is a '96. Do you have the C.O.A. (Cert of Authenticity)? should have the builder's name on it (not that you could read their signature ...)

Mine is White w/ gold hardware, great maple neck w/ lotsa flame ...

Relicula - this is from my, er, memory (GRIN) I appeal to your deeper knowledge on this. What do you know about this?

thanks, Dana

8. Relicula

Relicula Member

John Page had signed several of the custom shop COA's, but he was responsible for assembly of the relics after Vince Cunetto matched bodies, and necks, and did the aging. Rule of thumb, check the headstock for the imprint.

9. Docgab

Docgab Member

Thanks for all of the info. There are no stickers on the guitar or the pups, solders look factory. I think that I will leave it as is.

JMintzer, as far as cost, I paid $1899.00 for the guitar. The COA is with the guitar as is the original trem bar, trem plate and case. The name on the COA is Mike Eldred.

If someone can post pics I will email a few. She is a beaut'.:D

10. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

If it's a 96 it would have John Page's signature on the COA I believe.

11. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Yup! That's who signed my Relic Nocaster and my Relic Strat...

BTW, in '96, did they simply write 'Relic Stratocaster', and not "50's or 60's" Relic Strat? From what I've seen, they didn't differentiate till the '97s...

Jamie

12. Docgab

Docgab Member

I have the COA in front of me. It says July '96, 1950's Relic Stratcoster, serial #R1666. Mike Eldred signature.

The neck is stamped Fender Custom Shop, the neck joint is stamped Relic. Dated 1995.

13. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

Interesting. Mine are dated October and November of '96 (I don't remember which is which) and the certificates have John Page's name printed on them and what appears to be his signature. It's basically two big looping circles with the second one resembling a 'P', so I'm going with John Page... ;)

Jamie

14. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Mine just says "Relic Nocaster". It's dated Feb 97 and is most definitely signed by J.P.(it's printed next to the signature).

Hmmm, very interesting. I was always under the impression Mike Eldred's sig started appearing sometime in 99.

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

OK, I'm back at home now too, looking at the C.O.A for mine. Damn day job really cuts in to my spare time (GRIN)

It reads: Dec '95, Relic Stratocaster, Serial # R 0337, "John Page" is printed on the COA, and it too has a sort of double loop (no recognizable letters really) signature. The peghead is stamped "Custom Shop", and the neck reads "Relic" on the bottom.

It's a pretty cool guitar, really cool actually - wonderful neck. Now that I look, it's more bird's eye than flame. I'll try to post a pic.

Thanks to all the folks who know about these rad guitars for the help - this is a very interesting thread. I never knew any of this stuff - my knowledge is sorta biased toward older insturments.

Thanks, Dana

16. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

I was wondering if you ever were able to figure out why the COA for this guitar had a signature other than John Page, but I see you just unloaded it in the emporium. Oh well.