• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Questions About a Gilmour Pulse Pedalboard

steelerboy329

First of all I want to say I am aware of sources out there such as Gilmourish.com and Kit Rae's website, but my questions are a little different then what is on those websites. So, with that being said...

I'm after a pedalboard to get me close to the Pulse era and this is what I'm thinking (All on a Pedaltrain Jr. with a Voodoo Labs PP2+):

Boss CS-2 -> Butler Tube Driver (the new one) -> SUF Classic Civil War -> Boss GE-7 -> Boss CE-2 -> Delay?

Question 1: Which delay would you choose: Boss DD-2 or TC Flashback?

Question 2: Is it worth the extra money for the Bias Knob on the Tube Driver?

Question 3: I noticed that the Tube Driver has its own power supply that is connected straight to it...I think (hard wired?) and I was curious, could I just plug the Tube Driver into the back of the Voodoo Labs PP2+? Also, the PP2+ will be mounted on the bottom of the Pedaltrain Jr. and it looks like there are 2 holes in the pedalboard (one for the power cable and the other where I am hoping to plug in the Tube Driver) is this correct?

tomb11112

First of all I want to say I am aware of sources out there such as Gilmourish.com and Kit Rae's website, but my questions are a little different then what is on those websites. So, with that being said...

I'm after a pedalboard to get me close to the Pulse era and this is what I'm thinking (All on a Pedaltrain Jr. with a Voodoo Labs PP2+):

Boss CS-2 -> Butler Tube Driver (the new one) -> SUF Classic Civil War -> Boss GE-7 -> Boss CE-2 -> Delay?

Question 3: I noticed that the Tube Driver has its own power supply that is connected straight to it...I think (hard wired?) and I was curious, could I just plug the Tube Driver into the back of the Voodoo Labs PP2+? Also, the PP2+ will be mounted on the bottom of the Pedaltrain Jr. and it looks like there are 2 holes in the pedalboard (one for the power cable and the other where I am hoping to plug in the Tube Driver) is this correct?
Hi there,

Sounds like a fun little board there!

This choice is really up to you. he flashback is more versatile for covering older Floyd anb other styles, but you really can't go wrong with any of the boss dd series.

Never tried the bias knob version.
I have the standard version. I found the original tube to grainy at first so I swapped it for a 12AU7. After a few months I tried the 12AX7 BK supplied and havent looked back. I think the circuitry needs a little time to bed in and smooth out.

Question 3: Mains connector

Being in the UK the connectors on the back of the PP2+ are IEC connectors. I removed the US connector on my TD and replaced it with an IEC one, now my TD is powered from the back of the PP2.
Right about the pedaltrain too.

One other thing that might be worth trying is putting the chorus after the delay to replicate the delay going into the Dopplas Gilmour had.

You may also want to consider swapping the GE-7 for a vibe of some sort to cover the DSOTM set from pusle.

The SUF CW is a fantastic pedal, and really replicates my original CW muff closely! Had to tell the difference with a blindfold test!

Good luck!

MikeTz

Sounds about right, I'd also get a Boss CE-2 for the leslie/flanger simulations during solos and what not. Here's more info on it
http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gilmour_Effects_And_Gear.html#Modulation
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_Flanger_Chorus.html

Also for delay, read more here:
http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gilmour_Effects_And_Gear.html#Delays

And not to mention pickups are pretty important for that PULSE tone, the EMG DG-20 set is what you want.

Just read this entire page, thoroughly and you'll know what you need/want. http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gilmour_Effects_And_Gear.html

buckkillr8

1.DD-2
2.not worth the extra for Gilmour material.

I probably wouldn't bother with the GE-7 either unless you want to eq. (depending on the rest of your chain.)

Here's a older pic of my setup. Although I have the CS-2 in place of the dyna and the sd-1 in place of the bd-2.

DanHorse

1.DD-2
2.not worth the extra for Gilmour material.

I probably wouldn't bother with the GE-7 either unless you want to eq. (depending on the rest of your chain.)

Here's a older pic of my setup. Although I have the CS-2 in place of the dyna and the sd-1 in place of the bd-2.

Interesting re the SD-1 in place of the BD-2, why and what benefits? i'm curious ;)

buckkillr8

Don't get me wrong the bd-2 is great and it's sitting in the drawers with the other 50 or so effects. The sd-1 I wanted to try out and it just has a nicer/smoother OD then the bd-2.

Another thing that should be asked of the OP is, are you playing live or mostly just a bedroom player? If your not playing live, whats your whole setup? ie. amps etc. The Tube driver might need a second thought for bedroom playing. I've got two or three and I'll use them occasionally but find they'll sound better in a bigger live setup.

steelerboy329

Good info guys. A couple things to add. I was going to do the same chain as Kit Rae except I don't think a Nova Delay will work too well with the PP2+ and I know Gilmour used a DD2, not to mention you need one in order to get a Cornsh TES. I plan on putting EMGs in my second strat. And regarding the GE-7, I thought I read on Kit's website that when he was using a Duncan SSL-5 he used the GE-7 for a mid-boost to help sound more like the EMGs or something like that. I'm using a Fralin SP43 which is kind of close.

buckkillr8

Good info guys. A couple things to add. I was going to do the same chain as Kit Rae except I don't think a Nova Delay will work too well with the PP2+ and I know Gilmour used a DD2, not to mention you need one in order to get a Cornsh TES. I plan on putting EMGs in my second strat. And regarding the GE-7, I thought I read on Kit's website that when he was using a Duncan SSL-5 he used the GE-7 for a mid-boost to help sound more like the EMGs or something like that. I'm using a Fralin SP43 which is kind of close.

You have the same amps as Kit? That's why I was asking about your complete chain. You may or may not need the Ge7. Try it both ways and see.

LReese

Consider an Empress Multidrive if you're thinking about shelling out the dough for a Tube Drive. I think the OD portion of it sits right in the Gilmour camp using a Fender amp.

DanHorse

I am going to say something really controversial here. A good EQ will negate a lot of the differences between pickups - to a certain extent.

schecterc1lh

I have a ssl-5 in my strat, and to me it has a ton if midrange. Almost like a humbucker rather than a SC, so if he was using a EQ, i would bet it was to cut mids.

Trending Topics