Questions about a LEE JACKSON head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fcortex, Feb 11, 2008.

1. fcortex

fcortex Member

I recently ran across a Lee Jackson XLA 50 watt head and, before I buy it, I thought that I would check and see if someone here could give me some info on it. Does the 50 watt have a tube-driven effects loop? Does it have the tube-swapping features? How about an approximate idea of what one is worth in a preety good, but certainly not mint, condition.
    I have searched the LJ website and other internet places, but I can't find the answers to these questions, so I was hoping that there would be an expert here that could. Any help would be appreciated...

2. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

Sorry I can't answer your specific questions. I do have the XLS1000 which is a killer amp. And emailing Lee Jackson has always gotten a response with good information.

Good luck,
    Gregg

3. mach5

mach5 Member

Can you elaborate on your XLS1000? I saw one used but I'm not familiar with them.

4. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I have an XLS1000 too. I'm not sure what the difference is between the XLA and XLS, but the XLS has a tube driven FX loop with trim pots. It is a great amp with awesome clean and gain tones and sounds good at any volume. It will take EL34s, 6550s, KT88s, or 6L6s. The XLS1000 generally fetches about $1500. If you can get the amp at a reasonable price you should snag it. They're hard to find and sound killer.

5. seeker

seeker Member

I had the XLS 1000 combo for ten years, then sold it on Ebay. Paid $550 new , sold it for close to $ 1400. Great amp, built in attenuator, self biasing. It just wasn't a great bedroom amp at 100 watts ...LOL Can't help you on the XLA 50, but Lee Jackson amps rock. He designed amps for Ampeg, Crate ( I think) and I wish I had not sold mine !

UPDATE- I found this manual on the L J web site ( you didn't look did you ? ) LOL

http://www.leejackson.com/XLA.pdf

H

6. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

XLS1000 is the flagship amp built by Lee Jackson under his own name. It is a 2 channel amp with features similar to the Ampeg built Lee Jackson amps of the late 80s/early 90s except, in my experience, the clean channel is much better. Unlike those Ampegs, the XLS1000 has no reverb and a different master volume layout. The amp will allow you to pull 1 pair of tubes to run at 50W which is a cool feature that saves on tube costs. This is one of the amps that has the famous "Preamp" knob that runs from 0 - 10 with the "More" knob that runs from 11-20! Fantastic sounding hot-rod Marshall type of amp! Great attenuator too! This amp definitely has my favorite rhythm sound.

As for the XLA, isn't that the amp that has 2 identical channels?

Gregg

7. burner

burner Member

Every push-pull amp will.....

Am I wrong?

8. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

I know my Dual Rec also allows for this but, when using the tube rectifiers, 1 rec tube must be pulled as well.