Questions about Boss Delays

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by auffredou, May 22, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

Im not very good with delay as just adding a touch to your sound. I have a dd20 and its just a bit much for me right now. Im looking for one of the smaller pedals that takes up less space, and stays simple for doing what I need. Ill really only be using it for that david gilmour, coldplay-ish, etc. delay, nothing too extreme. Should I be looking at the DD3? DD7 or whatever the newer one is? What were the advantages of the old DD5? Just looking for help getting started here, hope I explained what Im looking for. Thanks.

2. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Given what you've said, I still think the DD-20 is the best bet for you. If you want more subtle delay, turn down the delay effect level and/or roll down the tone to get rid of some highs. If the issue is wanting more pedalboard space, then that's another issue, after getting a tap tempo, it might not make much of a difference.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The DD-3 is not good for delays that depend on tempo (Run Like Hell, for example).

The DD-7 would be better. I don't think the DD-5 has anything over the DD-7, though some folks prefer the 5 to the DD-6.

Having said that, really get to know your DD-20. Check out this link:
    http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=4630

4. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

If you want to stick to the smaller Boss digital delays, I'd go with the old DD-2. IMO, it sounds a lot better than its younger brothers. I haven't tried the new DD-7 yet though.

5. Don L

Don L Member

You'd like the new DD-7.

6. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I prefer the 5 over the 6 because it has a separate jack for an external Tap Tempo switch and I like being able to "cue" up the delay rate before actually kicking the pedal in. I use a second pedal for short delay, so that base is covered. May have to try the 7 though...

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    If you want small, good and cheap get a used DD-5 or DD-6 off Ebay.
    These delays do all the basic stuff well and are not tone suckers.
    The DD-5 is only better if you wanna set up a separate on/off pedal for the tap tempo but you've alrready said you only want a simple one.

The new DD-7 is probably the best one now but will cost you more.