Questions about cables

Ryaaan

Ive been looking in to upgrading the cables in my setup and needed some insight:

1) can age affect a cable? I've been using the same cable from my guitar to my board for 6 years. It never crackles or causes any problems, but I didn't know if age could affect its sound.

2) is there any problem with mixing the types of patch cables on a board? I'm currently using George L .155s... Is there any problem incurred with mixing in another brand of cable?

Thanks!

Randingo

Age by itself doesn't matter at all. There is a possibility of wear and tear from repeated coiling/uncoiling, stressing connectors, and stage abuse like stepping on them. If you're not noticing a problem and don't want to experiment, stay with what you've got. Similarly, there are no inherent problems in mixing cable types; you just won't hear as great a difference as you might if you completely switched out one for the other. That said, common wisdom says the greatest differences can be heard when changing out the cable from guitar to board, the next most with the run from board to amp, with the wiring on the board bringing up the rear in terms of audible effect.

Ryaaan

Thanks a ton! I know these seem like common sense questions, but I figured that I might as well ask them to be sure.

c diddy 5000

I've never once felt that a cable needs to "break in" to sound it's best... That's after 17 years of playing. I'm sure if you were to ask experienced pros of 30+ years, they would tell you much the same.

TheGuildedAge

Never noticed any break in with mine, they either sound good off the bat or don't

A lot of hype though, I wouldn't overpay for anything or spend a lot of time worrying about it. I personally like my Canare Gs-6 and Quantum cables the best.

I tried Lava and while they were nice, no way they sounded $75+ more than the cables I have.

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
I've never once felt that a cable needs to "break in" to sound it's best... That's after 17 years of playing. I'm sure if you were to ask experienced pros of 30+ years, they would tell you much the same.
How about after 40 years . I would have to think a cable sounds best right out of the box. Not many moving parts, what next a relic cable.:stir

nateco

To the OP.

Ive been using the same two Fulltone cables for 10 years, one finely got a little crackly when the strain relief was moved around, they sent me a new one.

The newer Fulltone cables have a different plug than my old ones.

Seriously good cables for not a crazy amount of money...cant recommend them enough.

Their customer service is really good too, should you ever have a warranty issue.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Break-in time is customarily defined as "15 days after the expiration date of the manufacturers warranty against defects, workmanship and hype".

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
To the OP.

Ive been using the same two Fulltone cables for 10 years, one finely got a little crackly when the strain relief was moved around, they sent me a new one.

The newer Fulltone cables have a different plug than my old ones.

Seriously good cables for not a crazy amount of money...cant recommend them enough.

Their customer service is really good too, should you ever have a warranty issue.
I have and like Fulltone cables too, but their patch cables cost way too much.

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
Not to derail the thread, but...

Guitar-related things that actually "break-in":

- strings
- speakers

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Copper is in the breakin metals area of the periodic table. Everyone knows that - right between the noble gases and the elements that can be turned into gold.
Scienterrific.

Trending Topics