Questions About Changing speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CA$H FLOW, Feb 7, 2012.

1. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

When changing the speaker on a tube amp are there any precautions you should always take?
    I know that whenever the amp is turned on you should always have a speaker connected. What about protecting the speaker from solder that may accidentally drip?
    How does one access a speaker that is mounted from the front of the cabinet?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    On the solder question, I've never had a problem with zero protection but you could use painters tape under the terminals for protection if you like.

Front mounted speakers are usually screwed in from the front and would require removal of the grill.

3. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

So on my amp there are no screws anywhere to remove the grill. Does this mean I simply pop off the grill, maybe use a screw driver or some flat blade like device?

4. teleman55

teleman55 Member

I prefer clip connectors but if I'm soldering speaker terminals I'll have the speakers face down and cut out a little piece of cardboard and stick it underneath the terminals to catch any solder drip.

5. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Some are like that. Some not.

6. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

Ca$h Flow, what model amp do you have? Have you looked in from the rear to see if there are any screws holding the grill on?

7. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

My amp is a Traynor YCV50 and I cannot see any screws from the back holding the grill on. I have some other questions- How should one go about tightening the screws that mount the speaker? and Can you over tighten the speaker mounting screws?

8. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

I take it the speaker is front mounted meaning the grill has to come off? Yes, you can over tighten the screws. Usually you won't seriously hurt anything and all you'll do is strip a bolt or a T nut. Just snug is sufficient. If it is front mounted I'd use a SMALL drop of blue loctite on the bolts and get them just a tiny bit past finger tight.

9. CA$H FLOW

CA$H FLOW Member

Great, thanks for the advice!