questions about Edwards guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by druman67, Oct 3, 2008.

1. druman67

druman67 Member

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask some question about Edwards guitars. I've read a lot about these guitars from here and other websites. From what I've read, the Edwards guitars seem to be consistently highly regarded. I've also looked into Tokai, Burny, Greco but it seems to be a bit of work/luck to find the good vintage models. Also, I get the impression that brand new Edwards are as good as or better than the other brands. What do you think about this?

At this point, I think I've settled on the 130 LTS, but I have some questions:

Pickups

The main reason I want to get a 130 LTS over an 98LTS or a 92CD is that I don't like the SH-1 / SH-4(JB) pickup configuration that are standard on those. I have that exact same pickup setup on my Jackson Soloist and I don't like the sound (of course I don't have a high gain amp, just my Traynor YCV-40, which is Fender-like). The 130LTS comes with Seymour Duncan Antiquities which are very highly regarded as being close to PAF sound.

I'm looking to play mostly clean, light overdrive kind of stuff, mostly classic rock tones. Occasionally, I'll want to get a heavier sound, maybe early 80s kinds of tones, but definitely not nu metal or any hardcore heavy metal. It's also important for me to have a smooth lead tone. Do you think the Antiquities can get me there?

Basically I'm wondering if I should spend the money and get the 130 LTS with the Antiquity pickups or get a 98 LTS and swap the pickups. What do you think? I figure for the cost to buy new pickups and have them installed, I might as well just buy the 130 LTS.

Neck

I unfortunately don't have access to play a Les Paul around my house. Can anyone tell me how the neck of the Edwards compares to a Telecaster or a Jackson Soloist? I have a California Fat Tele with a Vintage style “C” profile neck with a 9 1/2" radius, which I love, and I also have a Jackson Soloist SL2H, which has a much more flat, thinner neck, that I don't like. From what I hear, the Edwards necks are slightly chunky, not too thin, not too thick, but how about in relation to a Tele neck?

Fret Size

Also, does anyone know about the fret size of the Edwards? medium jumbo frets, jumbo? I much prefer the medium jumbo frets on my Fat Tele.

Weight

How much do new 130 LTS guitars weigh? I remember reading that the new ones are lighter than the old ones and weight about 7-7.5 pounds, is that right?

Thanks so much for your responses.

Andrew

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with the 130, but that's the model I'm looking at too. I had a Jimmy Page Relic and it was a great sounding/playing guitar. I sold it because the neck was a little to skinny for me, but in hindsight I should have held on to it.

For "mostly clean, light overdrive kind of stuff, mostly classic rock tones" the Antiquities are a great choice. No problem.

I posted a question earlier in the week asking about the neck size on the 130 (use the search function and you will find lots of posts about Edwards guitars). I did not get a definitive answer on the neck size of the 130, but from most of the info I have read the 130 is a medium C, somewhere between the Gibson 50's and 60's neck.

Weight is variable from guitar to guitar. Most Edwards guitars in the LTS series seem to be on the lighter side. My Jimmy Page Relic was under 8lbs. I almost bought a 130 off eBay earlier in the week that was 8.5lbs.

From my experience, the Edwards guitars are a great value and compare favorably with the Gibson USA Standards at half the price. I have only played two, but both sounded great, looked great, and played great.

Good luck on your search. I'll get a 130 some day....

3. go7

go7 Member

Frets are 6150, you`ll love them. Very well finished fretwork etc. I bought the `98 simply because I wanted to put Wolfetone Dr. Vintage alnico 2 PAF in it. Also put Hovland caps in. Deep woody tone,def not bright .8.5 lbs.Neck is 1 in. C shape, very comfy. 1`ve had mine for about 3 years. Very happy. Wait till you try their Strats..Awesome.

4. AlexF

AlexF Member

yes the neck on the 130 is between a gibby 60 and 50 carve, a little too skinny for me, hence the guitar went. Eric - the 130 is pretty much an identical guitar to the JP you have already had, the main difference is the pickups. There are additional refinements like the kluson type machines seem to be selected compared with the lower priced models, CTS pots, lightweight tailpiece. If you didnt like the neck on the JP you wont like on the 130 - they are the same. The frets are not jumbo, they are lowish and quite wide - not comparible with the wire gibson uses. Weight wise, all the Edwards Pauls I've owned have been exceptionally light. I think if you can live with the neck, the 130 is a truly monster deal. Here's 3 of the 5 I have owned - these 3 all had identical necks
    Al

130:
    [​IMG]
    JP and standard (not sure which model no):
    [​IMG]

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

can you buy a 130 non reliced?

6. AlexF

AlexF Member

7. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

AlexF, thanks for the great info.

Yes, I can live with the neck. It's not my first preference, but I can live with it.

I'm told some of the other models have bigger necks. But I like the specs and the relicing so I may end up with a 130 some day....

8. AlexF

AlexF Member

Eric - I had a P90 custom type which had a really big neck, and I have played a 57 goldtop type which had the same one. All the others are like the one you have owned.
    Al