Questions About iRig Type Units

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by EdFarmer, Mar 22, 2020.

1. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Member

My son's birthday is coming and I was going to head over to Guitar Center this week and look at my option . . . but . . . you know . . . Corona . . .

I never like the beer and I like the virus even less . . .

I'm looking to get him a unit that will allow him to plug his bass or guitar into his iPhone, simulate amp/cabinet/effects, mix with music on his phone and listen with Bluetooth head phones.

I know very little about this stuff and was going to rely on the sales personnel AND my ability to evaluate it in person. That's all down the drain.

Can I get a little advice on what's readily available and works best?

FlyingsCool likes this.
  2. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Get a lightning port interface. Do not get a headphone jack based interface even if you have an old school phone with the jack. The iRig HD 2 is a nice interface, I have used one of those, it comes with an Amplitube License IIRC which is a bargain.

mbenigni, dave b-4 and EdFarmer like this.
  3. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Member

That's exactly what I have looked at but I haven't seen any demos that show what I'm trying to do . . . I haven't seen anyone mix this with iTunes music without an external mixer which starts to get complicated for just sitting and playing.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Bluetooth headphones aren't gonna work for running your guitar through them (latency).

filo01, PaisleyWookie and FlyingsCool like this.
  5. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

I have the iRig 2 HD and it works really well .. I need a good set of headphones though. The ones I have are some cheap Sony regular headphones. I’m guessing studio headphones are needed. I’ve even used it as a preamp into the return of the effects loop on my Mesa amp for shiz and giggles.. AmpKit sounds pretty good. I even have the bias app.. it sounds good but it keeps having glitches.. popping noises that come and go..

6. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

The Lightning-based iRig stuff is pretty nice. I’ve certainly never been disappointed.

7. David Nicholson

David Nicholson Member

Hi

I have the iRig HD and it works very well. You can run multiple instances of apps such as bias and Garage Band - you use a routing programme called Audiobus 3 which allows you to set up a chain of whatever - amp simulator to IR player for example and you can run parallel paths so have backing track running too.

many of the amp simulator/FX programmes also have a ‘run in background’ option - set it up and then minimise the app, move to YouTube etc and play along to a track.

key point though - newer iPhone/iPads work better! So don’t be surprised if an IPhone 5 struggles

filo01 likes this.
  8. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Member

Thanks . . . Nobody in my family has anything that old!

9. primeholy

primeholy Member

Man, if that nux mighty plug was shipping. I have the irig hd2 and it is a bit cumbersome for me.

lauwing and Madmax25 like this.
  10. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I used to use an Apogee JAM. Plugged into the Apple Camera Adapter, it worked quite well. I really enjoyed using the ipad with Bias FX.

Not sure about using bluetooth headphones for monitoring, though. Seems like you might be adding latency to latency. The latency with just the guitar into the interface with Bias was negligible/not a factor for me. But, i was under the impression that the bluetooth thing was not something you could do for headphones.

I should prolly sell my JAM.... It's been in on the shelf for a while....

11. ILookLikeElvis

ILookLikeElvis Member

I picked up an iRig HD2 recently - I do not like it. The latency really bothers me (latest gen iPad Air, even into my MBP). It was a little better after a firmware update but still noticeable latency. When I do use it I bypass the amp/cab sims, which results in less latency - this is acceptable for me since I really only wanted a simple headphone interface for late night practice. But Amplitube's models just don't do much for me even ignoring the latency - you get a basic set of model amps/cabs/effects after registering, but costs increase quickly if you want to try other models.

To be fair, the thing is $99 so you can't expect TOO much from it.

filo01 likes this.
  12. FlamesAreWicked

For me, the app you choose makes a difference.. I’ve had the best tonal and latency experience with AmpKit.. you can also adjust it.. 256k option has the least amount but it eats battery life more.. your mileage may vary

Only real complaint of AmpKit is that the reverb absolutely blows...

13. lauwing

lauwing Member

This

Nux mighty plug can be an interface as well and it doesn’t force you to stick with the iPhone eco system. But you may not be able to get it in time for your son’s birthday

primeholy likes this.
  14. ElliotG

ElliotG Member

Typical Bluetooth headphones will not work effectively. There is too much latency, he will play guitar and hear the sound noticeably delayed. Here are 2 options:
    Use an iRigHD 2 https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighd2/ with wired headphones.
    OR
    Use the Boss Waza Air Headphones https://www.boss.info/us/products/waza-air/ these are wireless headphones, that use bluetooth to connect to the phone, and use a low-latency wireless technology to connect the guitar.

The iRigHD2:
    [​IMG]

The Boss Waza Air
    [​IMG]

15. brooksrocco

brooksrocco Member

I'd be interested in one of these units myself, but I can't bring myself to purchase a 'Micro-USB' device in the year 2020.

USB-C people, come on.

16. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Has anyone used the iRig 2 HD at the end of a pedalboard (ie act as an amp modeler for quiet playing)? If so, what were your thoughts on the results? Or is it better just to go directly in from the guitar without any pedals in between the guitar and iRig?

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I have the iRig HD2 and use Amplitube with it. It's my backup rig for gigs. Used with an iPhone 8 or XS (my current phone), I don't experience any noticeable latency. At one gig last year, the other guitarist in my band ended up using my iRig/iPhone direct to PA (since he accidentally left his Kemper at home), and it worked great.

18. FlamesAreWicked

I’ve used the iRig 2 HD as a preamp into the effects loop return of my Mesa head... sounded pretty good for some high gain stuff I’ve created using AmpKit