• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Questions about Klon, Compressors.

aziltz

What's the difference between an Orange Squeezer and a Dyna/Ross Comp? Technical and sound wise?

Also, is a Klon a TS-Type Circuit, or it is something else entirely? I'm more interested in what people know about the insides (under the goop). Curiosity is finally taking over!

chaosStrings

The Orange Squeezer is a JFET (junction field effect transistor) based compressor, whereas the Ross/Dynacomp is an OTA (operational transconductance amplifier) based one. Sound wise, I never did a direct comparison between these two types, but the main sound differences are more likely due to the RC networks which control attack and release times.

And the Klon is NOT a TS type circuit ... the gain control is very different, if I remember correctly there is hard clipping instead of soft etc. I don't know about filtering and tone controls though (I saw some unverified schems quite a long time ago :nono mainly for curiosity though :cool:).

goldie-gold

I have an Analogman BiComp, which (as I am sure most people know) is a Ross and Orange comp in one. I also have a couple of other Ross and Orange clones.

The Ross, IMO, is smother and slightly darker sounding compressor. It feels very squished to me with tons of sustain. The Orange it a touch brighter, still very squeezed sounding with a slightly punchier attack. The orange also seems to have a tiny mount of grit to it, which the Ross doesn't have. I like both.

Here is a YouTube demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQhWZ80FxtI - This, if you have not found it already, might help you out.

No idea about Klon's I'm affraid.

aziltz

thanks for the help!

And the Klon is NOT a TS type circuit ... the gain control is very different, if I remember correctly there is hard clipping instead of soft etc. I don't know about filtering and tone controls though (I saw some unverified schems quite a long time ago :nono mainly for curiosity though :cool:).

I've seen those *unverified* schematics as well, does it sound like it has a clean blend going on?

chaosStrings

Yes, something like it. It was something like:

input -> signal splitting ->
A: some filtering, a gain stage, with Ge diodes in hard clipping config
B: no gain stage, just little filtering
-> summing amplifier, tone control etc. -> output

There was a dual-ganged pot for controlling the signal level both in A and B.

aziltz

we'll i just got my BYOC 5Knob Comp Kit from UPS. Its a Ross/Dyna Comp with a Clean Bend. I think I'll pick up a BBE Orange Squeeze at some point and compare them.

Trending Topics