• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Questions about Noob Amp modeling Setup (Line 6 Pod Go etc.)

InSayine

Hi there,

Im new on the Forum. Hopefully i posted this in the correct Area of the Forum and did not disregard any Rules. Also please excuse my missing Knowledge of the concerning subject and english, as im not a native speaker.

To get to my Questions and Ideas:
Im a new E Guitar Player after being a Metalhead for years now. Im a Student and Beginner so my Budget is limited but i somewhat saved some money. I also prefer to buy stuff that lasts me a long time before needing replacement. I played 2 Instruments for 6 and 10 Years each now, but my knowledge in Guitars is very limited. Same goes with Pedals and Amps etc.
I wanted to buy an Amp and a Guitar this Christmas for myself. (Or a similar solution that fits my living Situation better.)
I live in an Apartment Complex and so there is no possibility to play really loud etc. So for me it came to mind to use an Amp just with Headphones or very limited Volume or both in combination. Also i dont have unlimited Space.

At first i saw Amps like the Katana Head 100W or the Katana Air / THR10x. These could serve me well as they can be played at low Volumes and have a Headphone out.

So options i saw up until now:

Small Amps like the Orange micro Terror etc.
Small Battery powered Amps like THR10x (With inbuilt Effects)
Amps with inbuilt Effects like the Katana 100W Head
Multi FX Pedals like the Line 6 Pod Go or Helix Stomp etc (I just talk about the Line 6 Pod here, but it is just an example. Maybe there are better options or cheaper ones out there)

I already have a Stereo in my Apartment: (No clue if it would sound good in combination, as they are not mono Guitar Speakers and not a Guitar Amp)
Teufel Ultima40 Mk3
Denon X2500H

Would it be possible to use something like a Line 6 Pod Go directly with Headphones and would it sound good in your opinion? Also would it be possible to not have a cab or combo amp etc, so just something like the pod and plug it into my Stereo Systems. I would 95% of the time use Headphones but if someone wants to listen with me it would be cool to be able to have it playing at a low Volume. It seems to me that this would be the best solution, but i have no clue if it would work correctly.

Also i heard that the Headphone out on the Line 6 Pod Go is pretty loud so a Headphone with high Impedance/low Sensitiviti would work better. The Headphones i already have laying around: (Not sure if these will sound okay directly out of the Pod)
Sony MDR-1A
Phillips A5Pro
TFZ King Pro
Fiio F9 Pro

(Not important now, but i saw that there are wireless Adapters for Guitar like the Katana Air but Standalone. These should be compatible with the Line 6 Pod right? In Combination with some Bluetooth Headphones it could be a cool upgrade if Sound quality is not too bad.)

So now i would like to find the best Option regarding usage, tone and price to performance. What do you guys think is my best bet? Again sorry about the Mess in the Post and the english Mistakes. Because of Uni im quite in a hurry ^^.

InSayine / Peter

Edit 4.11.2020: Please excuse Mistakes in Forum Etiquette and Knowledge of basic guitar gear. I just need an Introduction and something thats fun to play with. On every Instrument i used the sound would be the biggest Motivation to keep on practising, so thats what im going for here kinda. Im hoping to have a good baseline for practising in my apartment without my neighbors hating me.

Sounds i want to create should be similar to bands i often listen too. They dont all come to mind right now, but some examples.
Omnium Gatherum, Eluveitie, Death, Dark Tranquility, Heaven Shall Burn, Metallica (First 4 Albums or sth, favourite is kill em all), Psychonaut 4, Lifelover, Be'lakor (one of my favourite bands)

Last edited:

Lele

Just imho suggestions, even if there are many many possible solution that could work for you.

Current digital amps are rather good. Anyway, imho, and if my main use is with headphones, I'd prefer a multi-fx, because it's more practical at home. And then if it is a floorboard, I can use it in a band context with a monitor.

Would it be possible to use something like a Line 6 Pod Go directly with Headphones and would it sound good in your opinion?
Yes of course. And I can't say anything different, since I have the Line6 Helix!
But since you're entering now this "special world", I'd suggest to get a cheaper unit. Now there are very good budget devices, that could be excellent for you to understand if you really like this world. I mean for example the NUX MG300 that - as far as I can see and hear (only from demos) - is rather good in spite of its low price.

Bluetooth Headphones
Bluetooth is generally no-go with (live) guitar sound, because the sound time lag is too much.

I already have a Stereo in my Apartment
Many years ago, I also used my stereo at home for some time. It's not a perfect solution, and you'd better be careful with the volume (of your guitar sound, not to destroy your speakers), but it can work at least to hear your sound with backing tracks too.

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Welcome! I don’t play the style of music you are after. But I do think the Line 6 pod go is a great entry point for an all in one solution and is still pretty budget friendly, but able to give you a lot of bang for your bucks and expand later (example, if you later bought an amp you can use the pod go just as pedalboard function into an amp). They also have several amp models that are well regarded in the high gain/metal realm.

Regardless of what you choose, the way to start with any device is to ignore factory presets and start with just the amp and cab tone, and maybe a light touch of reverb after because this can help make headphones feel more “amp like.” But, get the amp/cab part sounding like what you think you are after before you start trying to add other effects. Then you can learn what different effects do and sound like, versus they are all mixed in with a factory preset made to sound like Metallica or whatever.

Ejay

If headphones is gonna be your main use...modeling pedal probably should be top of your list.
All modern ones sound decent, are good solutions for headphones, and will work with your stereo.

Neither headphones or your stereo (or any other fullrange system) will offer you what a traditional cab offers. (Raw cab versus miced cab)
For some thats a “worse/better” thing, for some just different.

Katana....modeling is very mediocre through headphones.
As an amp...although I was initially impressed by it...after one gig and getting to know it’s signature sound...A toy. You’d be much better of with a modeling pedal, and any used amp with a return to put that modeler in. (If you go for traditional cab)

Nothing wrong with the pod go....But for home use...cheaper units like gt1, mooer 150, nux....Sound as good!...They obviously lack switches, screens and function...but if soundwise...don’t dismiss those!
In your shoes, getting your feet wet in modeling...I’d go for one of those 3. If you can/want to make some noise very now and then...I’d look a a used peavey valveking (100,- used?) to use as a cab/power platform using the return. That’s 280,- for a decent sounding..even giggable rig ;)

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Welcome!

I would typically recommend a small modeling amp for beginners because it makes it a lot easier to keep playing rather than worrying about sounds. I've had the Boss Katana and the Yamaha THR10 and recommend both. The Boss Katana 100 in particular is very flexible and easy to use, although it can be big and bulky. The Yamaha THR10 is great for very low volume use.

If you really do want a modeler, the Pod Go looks great. It uses Helix modeling which is very good, and very flexible. You can get fantastic sounds out of it, and they will sound great with stereo headphones, but there may be a learning curve that could take weeks or longer to really understand. Where with the Boss Katana or Yamaha THR you will likely be up and running in minutes.

Guitardave

Hi there,

Im new on the Forum. Hopefully i posted this in the correct Area of the Forum and did not disregard any Rules. Also please excuse my missing Knowledge of the concerning subject and english, as im not a native speaker.

To get to my Questions and Ideas:
Im a new E Guitar Player after being a Metalhead for years now. Im a Student and Beginner so my Budget is limited but i somewhat saved some money. I also prefer to buy stuff that lasts me a long time before needing replacement. I played 2 Instruments for 6 and 10 Years each now, but my knowledge in Guitars is very limited. Same goes with Pedals and Amps etc.
I wanted to buy an Amp and a Guitar this Christmas for myself. (Or a similar solution that fits my living Situation better.)
I live in an Apartment Complex and so there is no possibility to play really loud etc. So for me it came to mind to use an Amp just with Headphones or very limited Volume or both in combination. Also i dont have unlimited Space.

At first i saw Amps like the Katana Head 100W or the Katana Air / THR10x. These could serve me well as they can be played at low Volumes and have a Headphone out.

So options i saw up until now:

Small Amps like the Orange micro Terror etc.
Small Battery powered Amps like THR10x (With inbuilt Effects)
Multi FX Pedals like the Line 6 Pod Go or Helix Stomp etc (I just talk about the Line 6 Pod here, but it is just an example. Maybe there are better options or cheaper ones out there)

I already have a Stereo in my Apartment: (No clue if it would sound good in combination, as they are not mono Guitar Speakers and not a Guitar Amp)
Teufel Ultima40 Mk3
Denon X2500H

Would it be possible to use something like a Line 6 Pod Go directly with Headphones and would it sound good in your opinion? Also would it be possible to not have a cab or combo amp etc, so just something like the pod and plug it into my Stereo Systems. I would 95% of the time use Headphones but if someone wants to listen with me it would be cool to be able to have it playing at a low Volume. It seems to me that this would be the best solution, but i have no clue if it would work correctly.

Also i heard that the Headphone out on the Line 6 Pod Go is pretty loud so a Headphone with high Impedance/low Sensitiviti would work better. The Headphones i already have laying around: (Not sure if these will sound okay directly out of the Pod)
Sony MDR-1A
Phillips A5Pro
TFZ King Pro
Fiio F9 Pro

(Not important now, but i saw that there are wireless Adapters for Guitar like the Katana Air but Standalone. These should be compatible with the Line 6 Pod right? In Combination with some Bluetooth Headphones it could be a cool upgrade if Sound quality is not too bad.)

So now i would like to find the best Option regarding usage, tone and price to performance. What do you guys think is my best bet? Again sorry about the Mess in the Post and the english Mistakes. Because of Uni im quite in a hurry ^^.

InSayine / Peter

Edit 4.11.2020: Please excuse Mistakes in Forum Etiquette and Knowledge of basic guitar gear. I just need an Introduction and something thats fun to play with. On every Instrument i used the sound would be the biggest Motivation to keep on practising, so thats what im going for here kinda. Im hoping to have a good baseline for practising in my apartment without my neighbors hating me.

Sounds i want to create should be similar to bands i often listen too. They dont all come to mind right now, but some examples.
Omnium Gatherum, Eluveitie, Death, Dark Tranquility, Heaven Shall Burn, Metallica (First 4 Albums or sth, favourite is kill em all), Psychonaut 4, Lifelover, Be'lakor (one of my favourite bands)
Welcome to TGP.

You did a good job of describing what you are after.

As a beginner I'd caution you against spending a bunch of time and money on gear. A decent, playable guitar and something simple to play thru is what will help you.

The Mooer GE-150 sounds pretty great and it's around $150. It'll do everything you likely need it to and more.

I would recommend buying a pair of these so you have a good quality sound. Well worth the $45.

You can hook up the modeler thru your home stereo and it'll sound great - the only issue may be it might have too much latency/lag.

Whatever product you choose I'd stick with it for a long while. Put your time and energy into practicing and learning to play and use the gear you have better.

InSayine

Hi there

Im really sorry with my lack of Updates. I really appreciate all you guys pitching in and giving your opinion.
I was really busy and in Austria at this time we are under a 24hour Lockdown due to Corona.

I think after reading your opinions and doing some more research, that i found a good solution.
Eventhough it may not be great to spend a lot of money as a beginner i think that i can afford a 1000 USD Solution.
So i am now on the lookout for a Line 6 Pod Go and the Rest of the Money will be spent on a new or used 6 String Guitar. I know that there are cheaper Alternatives right now but i like that it has such a good Interface and also a good resell Value.

Do any of you Guys have experience with Headphones with the Line 6 Pod Go? Im really wondering if i need to replace the Headphones i have aswell.

@Guitardave. You wrote something about something i would need to buy for 45 Dollars. I dont know if its my fault but i dont see a link or an Image. What do you mean?
Also i would want to hook up to the Stereo occasionally. Do you recommend anything hooked in between or would you just hook up Modeling Pedal directly to the Input on the Stereo?

Thank you all for the help and Patience. Great Forum!
InSayine

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
I would try the headphones you have first. You can change amp settings if you find there is too much bass, treble, etc in your headphones. Headphones will sound different than your stereo speakers and this is normal.

Guitardave

Hi there

Im really sorry with my lack of Updates. I really appreciate all you guys pitching in and giving your opinion.
I was really busy and in Austria at this time we are under a 24hour Lockdown due to Corona.

I think after reading your opinions and doing some more research, that i found a good solution.
Eventhough it may not be great to spend a lot of money as a beginner i think that i can afford a 1000 USD Solution.
So i am now on the lookout for a Line 6 Pod Go and the Rest of the Money will be spent on a new or used 6 String Guitar. I know that there are cheaper Alternatives right now but i like that it has such a good Interface and also a good resell Value.

Do any of you Guys have experience with Headphones with the Line 6 Pod Go? Im really wondering if i need to replace the Headphones i have aswell.

@Guitardave. You wrote something about something i would need to buy for 45 Dollars. I dont know if its my fault but i dont see a link or an Image. What do you mean?
Also i would want to hook up to the Stereo occasionally. Do you recommend anything hooked in between or would you just hook up Modeling Pedal directly to the Input on the Stereo?

Thank you all for the help and Patience. Great Forum!
InSayine
I was recommending some very good sounding IEMs...the linsoul kz as10. Over time they've become my favorite to use instead of very nice headphones. And they are ridiculously cheap...

But I wouldn't automatically buy them if your current headphones are sounding good. I try not to buy new gear unless what I have really isn't working out.

Most gigs I'm playing thru my amps, etc. but I play some occasional church gigs where everyone is running thru IEMs. I got tired of using my $200 Sennheiser headphones for them so I decided to get some IEMs for just that reason. I had a chance to try out some really expensive IEMs and didn't like them till they started getting into the really expensive 5 and 6 driver models.

Last edited:

InSayine

Okay i will first try my own Headphones. Otherwise i will keep the KZs in mind. Thank you very much.
Interesting that the Sennheiser sounded worse. I guess its all a bit of Preference as well.

To another Question (Because you guys were so helpful ^^)
How do you hook up your Stereo to your Pod or Nux, Mooer etc? I know i have lots of Inputs on my Denon X2500H but im not sure which to use. Also do you need a DI Box or Mixer or any other Device in between?

InSayine

Get a NUX MG-300 = $150

Ill read up on it. Though i really like what i read about the Pod Go up until now.

Next thing is picking a Guitar.... i made a post in the General Instruments Directory...

hawk45

As constant intermediate at-home only player for enjoyment I'll offer this advice. If you need to play through headphones, get something Bluetooth compatible. There is nothing worse than trying to play with a big cord hooked to your head. I prefer to play at lower volumes even if it doesn't give the best sound vs with headphones on. This may not be possible in your situation but something to think about and put at the top of your needs list IMO. Headphone cords get really old, really fast. I must say I'm lucky being in a house and having a wife loves music and doesn't mind if I crank it up from time to time. The neighbors can suck rocks since I have to hear all their screaming kids constantly.

I've got gear I've gathered over the years.. 120W tube half stacks, small tube and solid state combos, pedals, mulit-effect units and recently picked up a Katana Head after not getting any gear for about 10 years for the reasons you listed above. Maybe it's honeymoon phase but I'm a fan. That little 5" internal speaker is really nice and on the .5 watt setting (even the 50w, but I think maxes at 30w when not plugged into a cab) with the master cranked, it sounds really good to me. I have it sitting on my desk next to me and plugged into my PC for quick edits. I can unplug it and bring it upstairs if I want also and it's smaller than any combo you can buy. Has decent effects, pretty much anything you can get out of any BOSS pedal and all in one easy to use unit. You don't have to deep dive into the software side if you don't want, and 8 presents should give you plenty of variety. Pick up the 5 switch pedal and you can turn things on/off just like normal stomp boxes. It's very versatile, and if I really want to blow it out, I plug it into my 5150 4x12 slant cab. Even at .5 watts it's monstrous. Try getting an amp with 5 amp options, 3 cab simulations, 60+ effect options, external cab hookeup, stereo outs, FX Loop, USB audio interface, headphone jack, that you don't need a cab to play (has 5" internal speaker), has 3 power settings (.5w, 50w, 100w) and is smaller than a combo... for $350. If this is for learning and fun, it's kind of a no-brainer to me. Does it sound as good when direct comparing to a tube amp? It sounds good, but there is nothing like a tube amp IMO, but the trade-offs in value and plug/play and low maintenance outweight that for home/practice use. If I was a pro out gigging, I may have a different opinion.. but in the end go with what works best for you now.. and worry about down the road, down the road. You'll always be buying gear, so no need to get it all upfront, because your tastes will change and your style of play.

Best of luck!

InSayine

Hey there hawk45

Hmm ill read up on the Katana Head then. You mean the Katana 100W Head right? I did not know it had an internal Speaker hmm.
Thanks for the Suggestion.
I will have to play with Headphones mostly as its not only our Neighbors but i also should not disturb my Girlfriend as we have moved in together recently.
How is the sound through Headphones though? I really dont mind Cables as i have diffrent Headphones but always prefer the IEMs with Cables mostly.

InSayine

Hmm if i still end up going with the POD GO. How would i go about hooking it up to both Headphones and Stereo?

Okay i will first try my own Headphones. Otherwise i will keep the KZs in mind. Thank you very much.
Interesting that the Sennheiser sounded worse. I guess its all a bit of Preference as well.

To another Question (Because you guys were so helpful ^^)
How do you hook up your Stereo to your Pod or Nux, Mooer etc? I know i have lots of Inputs on my Denon X2500H but im not sure which to use. Also do you need a DI Box or Mixer or any other Device in between?

kdm1218

Silver Supporting Member
Bluetooth headphones = latency.

I also don’t get the issue with a cord. Unless one is going to buy a wireless transmitter/receiver for their guitar (which a newer player should not mess with), you are going to have a guitar cable anyway.

hawk45

You mean the Katana 100W Head right? I did not know it had an internal Speaker.
Yes, the 100 watt head has a 5" speaker in the front left corner (as you are facing it) that points straight out at you.
Second bullet point under "Main Features". https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-head_mk2/

How is the sound through Headphones though?
Using headphones sounds just like without, really good IMO. Tip: Through the speaker you can max the Master volume, which is recommended and provides more rich tone. Through headphones make sure to start with the Master volume all the way down and slowly bring it up or you will blow your ears out, even on the .5 watt setting.

Quad4

I also don’t get the issue with a cord. Unless one is going to buy a wireless transmitter/receiver for their guitar (which a newer player should not mess with), you are going to have a guitar cable anyway.
Two cords is worse than one. I know it should be the same, but it's not.

No cords with a wireless guitar TX is very convenient ... and it does remove one more source or noise/grounding. YMMV if this is worth it and if there is a better or worse SNR or tone than a cable.

Trending Topics