1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Questions about Peavey 5150, 6505, 6505+....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clay49, May 18, 2011.

1. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

After hearing Ted Nugent on Huckabee this past Saturday night, playing through a Peavey 6505 head, I thought I might look into these amps...never have in the past because, well, they're Peaveys!!!

What are the main differences in the 5150, 6505, and 6505+, other than they are models in succession.

Do they have decent clean channels? Are they all American made, or does Peavey ship these amps in from China like most big amp manufacturers these days?

I'd love to hear Peavey owners thoughts about these...thanks!:munch

2. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

Peavey amps are really good. Not sure why you made that comment. They have a proven track record and are very reliable.

Tone-wise, they do have a pretty fuzzy grit to them. Great for metal, not so great if you do classic styles (IMO)
    The clean channels are pretty good. Not chimy like a Fender, but decent.
    I have had the 5150 and the 6505. They are very heavy. Very heavy.

If you get an older, used one, it will be MIA for sure. Not sure about the new ones.

3. _arvin

_arvin Guest

The 5150 and 5150 II were renamed 6505 and 6505+ respectively after Eddie Van Halen moved on from working with Peavey on these amps.

As for tone: I have a 5150, have never tried the other models. The clean channel is fairly generic sounding to my ears.. i like it with the bright switch on though. The lead channel has got LOTS of gain on tap. In my experience with the amp, I've found that the gain can be dialed back to get a not-so-metal sound, but it clearly excels at high gain metal tones. The EQ is pretty responsive, especially in the mid control. With slight adjustments to the Presence and Resonance controls it is possible to dial in a variety of OD tones from chunky, to ballsy, to punchy, to searing.

Other notes: changing the tubes smoothed out the tone for me (came with EH tubes stock, replaced with JJ). Playing the amp through vintage 30s also adds more bite.

4. clay49

Thanks for these initial responses, and I do apologize for the comment about Peavey. I live in Birmingham, and here in the south, they have picked up the name "Mississippi Marshall," which in some circles is not used glowingly! That being said, they do have a proven track record...I've just never owned any other than a 120 Special (SS) back in the early 80's

5. Electric I

Electric I Member

What harpinon said.

Had a bandit & a classic 30 in the past & while they were more than reliable, I sold them & moved on to other amps.

Fast forward to yesterday & after a trip to the local non-chain store, I came home with a 6505+ 112 comb. I'm not a metal player per se & so the amp will be used for blues-rock/hard rock tones. And yes, the amp can be dialed back for these sounds, although they may not be a given individual's ideal choice for such.

All in all, I'm happy with the amp so far & it's good to know that the extra horsepower is there should I ever need it.

6. ken374

ken374 Member

I have the 112 also changed the speaker to a eminence swamp thang, help the tone alot and took some fizz out. The amps a beast with the 150 watt speaker. EVH , alice in chains tones to every thing elso. Channel 2 is a nice cleaner classic rock channel.

7. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I've had a 5150 2X12 combo for years. The original sovtek power tubes were sizzly, yes I said sizzly... I used JJ's for a while but they proved to be unreliable at times. I put a set of SED Winged C 6L6's in there and they really sweatened up the amp.

I've found EH 12AX7's work very well, but a Tung Sol in V1 really makes a difference.

This amp doesnt really have a clean channel. I have channel 1 set up as a med gain crunch channel and roll off guitar volume to clean it up. Channel 2 has more then enough gain on tap I usually vary it from 4-6 depending on my mood.

Channel one can get into classic rock territory. Channel two is more modern sounding.

The resonance control is more like a speaker dampening control, the lower the volume you play at the higher you turn resonance up and speaker dampening loosens up. This is my favorite feature on the amp. You can dial in the perfect amount of speaker dampening that you prefer.

My 5150 was made in USA. Not sure about the current models.
    AFAIK the 5150 and 6505 are identicle as are the 5150II and 6505+.

8. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

Hi, fellow Birminghamster!

They're fine amps, and more versatile than the EVH branding or the rave reviews from metalheads might lead you to believe. I got one back in the mid '90s after my Carvin X100B got stolen from a storage building in Hueytown. :FM Ran it through the Peavey 4x12 I had been using with the Carvin (V30 speakers I think) and it sounded fantastic.

I sold it to buy a HRD when that band folded up and I found myself needing something a little more classic sounding and less insanely loud.

9. VTM Mike

VTM Mike Member

I own a 6505+. It differs from the regular 5150/6505 in that it has an eq section for each channel, vs. a shared eq on the 6505. The amp is voiced slightly different as well, still the same vibe for sure, but a touch less gain on the lead channel and more than a touch less on the rhythm channel. If you love cleans, you won't be overly impressed with what this amp has to offer, but it's not intended for that! It's claim to fame has been it's ability to shine as a metal amp, and that it does. The heads are made in the USA, the 1x12 combo is made in China. It will do pretty much any rock style, but if you want gain, that's where it's at.

10. clay49

Good stuff, guys...thanks for the education!

11. clay49

Just got back from GC here in B'ham, and they had a 6505+ which I got to play with a Les Paul Traditional through the Peavey 4x12. Not bad, I must say, but I had the Pre volume on no more than 2 on both channels, couldn't go up much past that or it just got muddy and mushy (but I understand that this is designed as a high-gain, modern metal amp, and I am a classic rock guy). But the sounds I did create at those settings were great.

I may need to look at the Butcher again... however, I don't need 120-watts, heck, NO ONE needs 120 watts!

12. theroan

theroan Member

It should be noted that neither of the two channels are supposed to be "clean". They're for crunch and lead applications.

13. ken374

ken374 Member

pre at 6 or 7 then post at 2 try that!

14. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

My old 5150 never got mushy, I wonder if the one you played had good tubes? Even with lots of gain, it always had good articulation and punch. Of course, I was playing strats or teles with humbuckers at the time, that might have made a bit of difference.

If I had known a TGPer was going over there, I coulda changed my lunch plans to meet you...

15. VTM Mike

VTM Mike Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Mushy is not what this amp is. Once you know where the controls like to live, they are tight grindy punchy flame throwers, not mushy. Too much pre gain, too much bass and too much resonance may have contributed to this. :huh

16. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

They had a Butcher in stock? I'd like to try one of those. I'm from Hoover and my parents still live there, so I may check one out next time I'm over there. I haven't seen one in Atlanta. Regarding the Butcher's wattage - you do realize it has a half power switch don't you? BTW, how does the new Butcher sound?

17. clay49

No, they don't have the Butcher. I had to snag one off of ebay from a vendor that offered a no questions money-back return policy. It was pretty decent, had it about 2 months ago, and I've played so many since then, I don't remember what exactly I didn't like about it. There's one listed on Ebay right now for $799, but it has a big gash in the back of the head shell, but that is still probably a good deal for a $1,200 head if you are sure that you are going to keep it and not try to re-sell.

The Butcher and the Rossington Penta are special order amps, so GC is not going to order either of those without a customer walking in and plunking down cash on the spot. The GC here in Birmingham is pretty much low-end stuff...asian made, mass-produced amps under 799. The only upper end guitar gear you'll find is PRS and Gibson...90% of their stock is stuff under $500 for 13 year-old Bryan Adams wanna-be's, but they are in it for the $$, and so they are catering to the mass market.

18. 8len8

8len8 Member

I played my friend's 5150 yesterday. To me it's got more of Mesa "upper mid range" peak kinda sound. Not the "chunk" of a Marshall.

19. groovetube

groovetube Member

WTF?????????????? That comment confuses and disturbs me. I recommend doing some research on various revered Peavey models and a little about the brand. Yes, they make some cheap gear, but so does Orange, Marshall, Fender, and a lot of other "respected" brands.

Peavey makes kickass gear too. Check it out sometime.

20. theroan

theroan Member

Meh, I'm with Clay on that one. Aside from the 5150, I can't say I really see Peavey as anything other than a good practice amp maker.