• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Questions about pickups

Hey guys and gals. I'm new to this page. my fellow player got me into it. I have a question. I am stripping down a older guitar and I don't know anything about pickups. I am versed in electrical work, but not pickups. i am considering replacing my current set, or may be just one, like the bridge pickup my current set all have two wires each, yellow and bare, or black and bare etc. what does this mean, and what type of set would i want? I'm meaning, can I order just any set for replacement or do I need specifics, as in # of conductors, wires, etc. I'd greatly appreciate any advice. thank you gents.

war-knuckles

Any pickups would work as a replacement. 4 conductor humbuckers just give the added option of a coil tap/split... the point of that being to use a push pull potentiometer to get single coil-ish sounds when you want them. Having four conductor pickups doesn't force you to wire it that way but does give you the option.

If there's only two wires, one is hot and one is ground. Depending on the wiring options you are going for you can find schematics to tell you what wires and capacitors go where and all that stuff

The rabbit hole of the pickup search is a deep one. You gotta figure out what type of sound you want first then you can sort of narrow down magnet types, resistance, etc.

Hey guys and gals. I'm new to this page. my fellow player got me into it. I have a question. I am stripping down a older guitar and I don't know anything about pickups. I am versed in electrical work, but not pickups. i am considering replacing my current set, or may be just one, like the bridge pickup my current set all have two wires each, yellow and bare, or black and bare etc. what does this mean, and what type of set would i want? I'm meaning, can I order just any set for replacement or do I need specifics, as in # of conductors, wires, etc. I'd greatly appreciate any advice. thank you gents.

Thank you thank you and of course, Thank you. I love this page/forum cause it represents the music loving lifestyle and helps . I appreciate your advice. I found a few pickups forsale. most fender strat style pickups as it is a strat body. mostly two wire pickups. I'm also looking at humbucker single coils. but sound wise..... I am a metal rock player so I'm looking for a hot set. I am trying to purchase a bridge pickup and leave the original two neck and mid pickups . I found a sweet vintage fender hot pickup on ebay. right up my alley.I love the emg sound but not sure if I can use something like that . thank you again so much. you greatly helped me and it just goes to show how musicians stick together and help the younger players with their time tested wisdom. thanks.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom