Questions about strat bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by In Absentia, May 24, 2011.

1. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

How many of you actually use it on a rwgular basis? I have to say that I have been less than impressed with every SC bridge strat pu i have played. I really want a strat, but I am considering bucking the trend and just getting an HSS. At least, that way I'd get some use out of it.

2. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

If you don't like it, that's cool. I dig the bridge pickup for leads and brighter parts (duh) but if you don't like it, get a HSS or put a single coil sized humbucker in the bridge.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

I use the bridge pu quite often, but using a ballsy amp helps, plus a hotter-than-stock bridge pu.
    In my Jeff Beck, it's got the Fender Hot Noiseless, and my other strat has a Fralin SteelPole 42.
    Love em both. Guess it's a matter of personal preference.

4. dazco

dazco Member

Bucking the trend? how so? As i see it there are a ton of people who use HB's in strat bridges, myself being one of those and i have for decades. SC in the bridge it traditional, not a trend. I LIKE SC's in strat bridges too, but if i only have one strat it will be HSS by a mile.....much more versitile. I say don't "consider" it, just do it ! Most versitile guitar there is IMO.

5. geetarman

geetarman Supporting Member

I use mine all the time but my Strats have baseplates installed on bridge pups and blender control to add a bit of neck.

6. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

The Lollar Special is a nice full, warmer sounding pickup. There is not a thing wrong with an HSS at all. If it will make it your #1, then that is what you should get.

7. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I like the bridge pickup, but can't imagine it will see much use with my style of play.

So, you guys are probably right. A bridge HB is probably right for me.

8. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

My second tone knob is wired to my bridge pickup. That's a great feature to have, because you can tweak the brightness to taste. I almost always keep my tone knob between 5-7 and that really seems to take the edge off.

9. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

Wiring the tone pot to the bridge pickup works great for my needs. Plus the baseplate adds just a bit of bass response.

10. Guitar Whiskey

Guitar Whiskey Member

Same here on my LsL Saticoy. On another Strat I have a 3-way switch with the bridge and neck wired to a volume control (think Gibson) and the middle pickup alone wired to the other volume control. The last control is a tone control that effects all pickups. This way in the middle position I get the neck a bridge together and you can take the edge off it with the tone control.

11. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

that's the ticket. i used to switch it to a humbucker but a tone control makes it usable.

12. c_mac

c_mac Member

I have a overwound Fralin (9.4k) with a baseplate in the bridge position of my Strat. It sounds full and ballsy.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I used to use humbucker at the bridge, but just prefer single coils anymore. For the nice clean stuff and position 2, also love the sound of single coil clarity with high gain. I like to mute a lot and that helps to give the bridge pickup a chunky kind of tone, also will play it differently than if I was on the neck pickup.

Lots of options, all kinds of pickups.tone control, heavier strings... Strats are so easily mod-able.

14. Grandturk

Grandturk Member

Love the strat bridge position. I play on it most of the time. Middle is great too. I find the neck a bit too boomy with a bit of drive. I like the bridge to be sharp and cutting. Never use the tone on the bridge pickup.

15. LReese

LReese Member

I'd say I use a Strat Bridge PU at least 50% of the time, though I'm starting to have an affair with a bridge humbucker in one guitar.

It depends on your setup. I can get a humbuckerish sound roughly following the EJ recipe. Tone on bridge PU, rolled to about 7. Amp and OD pedal set to taste. A good bit of the output of a Strat Bridge PU is in the high end (IMO) so your're shooting yourself in the foot in a way.

16. picknpluck

picknpluck Member

I use my bridge PU quite a bit. I've got SD Antiquity Texas Hots. The bridge is wound to 9.7k, though, compared to 6.3k for the neck and middle. I've tried a number of different strat pickups to include Texas Specials, TexMex, 57/62's, Van Zandt Blues, and now the Antiquities. I gotta say, the Antiquities are the BUSINESS! I've had them in my strat for over 6 years now, so the honeymoon period is definitely over. These pickups are keepers.

17. Structo

Structo Member

I like the Lonestar configuration for a strat.
    Makes it very versatile.

It's HSS but uses two different tone caps and pots.

You still get the quack in #2 because it splits the HB.

But I also make sure I have a SSS strat with the second tone pot on the bridge of course.
    I also use a Callaham base plate on the bridge SC to fatten it just a touch.

You can also use a 500K pot if you want to brighten it up anymore.

[​IMG]

18. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

For my Floyd tribute, I use it about 80% of the time. Strat bridge pickup + big woofy distortion (like a cranked tweed or a Big Muff) = fun.

19. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

You just a hotter mid forward bridge pickup =)

I use a Fralin Steel Pole 43. Awesome!

20. McQuade

McQuade Member

I've got the tone control and the baseplate. I like it alot with my sunface. The pickup is the Antiquity custom bridge for strat as mentioned above. I've had them in the guitar since 1997.

Last edited: May 25, 2011