Questions about the squier 51

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Distoman, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Distoman

Distoman Member

I recently became interested in the squier 51 off of fender's website. I have a few questions about the model that is currently offered on their website:

How does this compare to the feel of other squier guitars? Does it feel more like a stratocaster or a telecaster? Or does it have a unique feel to it?

How does the current model compare to the older models that were realeased?

Can I remove the pickguard and keep it off? Or is the pickguard used to cover the cavities in which the hardware is kept?

What is your personal opinion on the squier 51?

2. tonydetiger

tonydetiger Member

I would put it somewhere in the neighborhood of being more Strat-like, with Tele qualities mixed in. The single coil in the neck and the split humbucker can cover strat and tele tones reasonably. The frets are a little rough, and the neck needs some sanding.

The controls are top routed, and the pickguard covers the control cavity.

I haven't played any previous versions of the '51, save for a single pickup model that was out over a decade ago.

Overall, I really like it. Tonally flexible, very affordable, only needs minor tweaking to improve, and it's a great base for mods. I actually have a control plate to make mine into a volume, tone, and 3-way switch.

Distoman likes this.
  3. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

Added my answers to your questions in the quote. Some inspiration:

[​IMG]

Distoman likes this.