Questions for JangleBox owners...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by El Jimbo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Does this comp have any pumping type symptoms like the Keeley for example?

Can it do a nice clear comp without any loss of frequencies (eg. highs) when in neutral mode?

Does anyone use it as a boost...what's its nature?

Thanks.

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I've got one, and I love it! It's on almost all the time.

No pumping sounds on mine.

I don't think there's a loss of highs in neutral (Normal), but if there is a loss, switch to Bright mode. Dark mode is like an Orange Squeezer to my ears.

I don't use it as a boost. I prefer to keep its volume at unity. It does help to keep clarity when I use a wah or distortion pedal with it.

3. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    I will have mine saturday, but my understanding is that there is no reduction in high freq in any mode, even the dark mode is just low end boosted. I think I read a post where Muddy said that it brightened up the tone just a touch in the normal mode and of course brite mode is probably even "briter" Hope I like it!

Dennis

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I have one too - it doesn't behave like a typical compressor. It compresses without pumping & breathing and the notes don't suck down when you hit the strings.

I sold my Keeley when I got my BiComp. I sold the BiComp when I got the Janglebox. I agree, the dark mode is like a softer-toned OS type comp.

I don't use mine as a volume boost pedal, it is EXCELLENT as a treble booster when set on the bright setting. The Janglebox excels when boosting Voxy voiced amps, it is great for blackface-style amps too. I use it AFTER overdrive pedals to smooth it all out, not before them as gooser.

On the normal setting, you get a fuller presentation still with some jangle - it doesn't have nearly as much as the bright setting. I like the bright setting best of all - it makes the Janglebox do what it does. It is British in a box.

5. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

6. muddy

muddy Member

that said, it is an EXCELLENT gooster, if i may borrow mitch's term. it's STILL on my board, too.

ml

7. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

My all-time favorite compressor : The Mighty JANGLEBOX !!!!

8. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Just picked up my brand new Janglebox at FedEx...I am working overtime tho and won't be able to plug it in until after 8 tonite...:mad: Should be cool with my 65 London as the London is just a hair on the dark side with the Keeley...hoping the non attenuated top even in normal mode will bring on the chime! :dude

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH MAN, nice rig! I would love to hear some clips with the JB-65 together!

10. leofenderbender

The Janglebox is the PERFECT pedal for the London. It gives it the right amount of top boost. I love my London too!

11. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I forgot to ask:

How is it with a Blackface type circuit?

12. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I too have become VERY INTERESTED in the JB ...anyone have experience with it vs. the demeter compulator?thanks to all

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Anybody shoot-out the Jangle vs. the Barber TP?
    Greg

14. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

15. leofenderbender

No doubt. That link is responsible for causing me to buy a bunch of pedals over the years.

16. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Bump for this question.

17. leofenderbender

Sorry Jimbo - It is great with my Tone King Comet too.

The Tone King is my first choice for Blues. If you need a bit more push, or need a quick burst of treble when the tone is rolled down, or if you need to tighten it all up, the Janglebox is great for that too. The sparkly glassy tone on a strat comes out when playing clean. With a Blues Devil or Tube Screamer-type pedal playing quacky (2&4 on the selector), both of my strats pick up more of the EQ shift where the lower strings take on the characteristic of the higher strings in being less flabby, more present. The highs give alot of the Tom Petty vibe.

I have always been leary of pedals where nobody can bring up negative features. The Janglebox, for whatever reason, fits that paradigm for me. It is a compressor that I can live with for a very long time.

18. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Me too...you really find it flawless?:eek: :cool:

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

What is it with you new Janglebox owners? Are you so caught up with playing though it that none of you seem to return to post your reviews? This seems to recur in every Janglebox thread! :)