Questions for Marshall JVM Owners (specifically the 200 series)...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mtmartin71, May 5, 2008.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I've read up on the specs of this amp and I'm very intrigued by it. I've read that the JVM series has a great master volume and I wondered if the 200 series has the same thing going for it. It also appears you can get a lead volume boost based on the two masters? Actually, this puppy looks like it may be something I could finally replace my Mesa LSS 1x12 with.

Anyone ever compare a JVM to the Mesa LoneStar series? I'm guessing the Mesa wins on the cleans but the Marshall hands it a new one on the crunch? Don't need super gain BTW, but if that is an option, it's not bad to have as long as there's some vintage JCM800 crunch sitting in there.

Thanks,

Matt

2. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

+1 on the JVM. BTW.. don't be afraid of the 100w version, the MV is excellent. The clean channel is really good and the crunch channel has nice JCM800 sounds. The OD channels can be mean as a snake. The key with the OD channels is to not dial in too much gain. The controls are sensative and setting the gain to 3 is about all you need. Vary your tone with the guitar volume.

3. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I'm trying to replace a 1x12 with the same though to keep the rig smaller. I mostly play smaller clubs for my gigs and I have an extension cab for larger ones. I may just have to go down to a Guitar Center and see if I can take one home to compare head to head with my Lonestar. New, they're both about the same price with the Marshall being a little more expensive.

4. digital jams

digital jams Member

Well two totally differnt voicings, the JVM has a ton more gain as well. Cleans up very well even on OD1 and the digital verb is quite good really.

Yes two masters do rule and you can program the floor pedal for say OD1 Green and then hit another button for OD1 Orange while using the 2nd master.

The MV works well but of course it is a marshall and really shines when gunned some.

Owned mine for a year and love it.

5. haslar

haslar Member

I own a 205H and really like it.
    As always it sounds best when the master volume is at least halfway up.

For JCM800 type of tones, it's just the ticket.

There is also a massive amount of gain on tap, but I have no use for that.