Questions for the Bogner Shiva haters (and lovers)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lution, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Lution

Lution Member

I'm looking into possibly getting a Shiva 6L6 combo or head. Right now I own a Fargen Blackbird 6L6 40watter and the cleans on it are hard to top. I'm a sucker for the blackface clean tone. My Blackbird's cleans are basically a very rich BFSR type clean with nice sag and lovely bloom. I'm also a sucker for how that 6L6 Shiva's lead tone sounds on the clips at the Bogner website, something my Fargen cannot do at all.

I noticed a few folks really love the clean channel on the Shiva.

I also noticed a few haters of the Shiva.

I ask for any feedback I can get specifically from the 6L6 Shiva owners past and present.

Describe the clean channel and what you love/hated about it.
    Describe the the lead channel the same way.
    If you care to go into other things you love/hated, please feel free.

Right now I love my Fargen's clean and hitting it with pedals does the job just fine, but am I missing out by not giving the Shiva a go?

Thanks very much

-Lution

2. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

This is just my opinion and taste.....The clean channel was way to clean for me//// The Shiva's overdrive channel is going to be different than your Fargen with pedals.. I've heard the new Shiva's have been upgraded tone wise...I'd buy a new one if you can swing the $$$, or better still, they are sold in more stores than most boutique amps...GO PLAY ONE with your guitar....then you'll know...all amps have a certain feel...and it's different for many of us..

3. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have owned a couple of Shivas and the clean channel is the best in the business IMHO. If you like the OD channel then it's a no-brainer.

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I love the clean channel in my Shiva, I waited a long time to get that amp. It just has a glow about it, on the clean side it can do the Fendery clean, nearly flat, even big bottom and shimmering top. I like the 2 x 10 closed back for the punch. The OD channel is big, dark and smooth, plenty of crunch when you want it, the hotter the pickups the better:FM . There may be better channel switchers out there, but I haven't heard them, don't need to!:AOK Great reverb too, separate levels for clean/OD on the back.
    [​IMG]

5. Lution

Lution Member

Thats very much how I like my cleans. Very clean and the ability to add breakup with a low OD pedal like my LTD.

Yea, my closest Bogner deal is a few hours from me, but alas no 6L6s there. :(

6. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

I love the Shiva, but I didn't like the 6L6 version. To me the EL34 version sounds much better on the OD channel and still sounds great on the clean.

7. Lution

Lution Member

Hey Darkburst, thanks for the reply. Can you go into more detail other than "sounds better"? What exactly sold you on the EL34 over the 6L6?

thanks

-Lution

8. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

i liked the el34 version over the 6l6 version more as well. i think i just like el34s more actually as most amps ive played i end up with el34. i even liked el34s better in the dual rec over the stock 6l6s. i think its just a personal preference thing

9. Lution

Lution Member

I hear ya. I find myself gravitating always to 6L6s or 6V6s.

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

I played the Shiva at Johnny A's house. It sounded really warm and great.

Tomo

11. wsaraceni

your opinion doesnt count. im sure anything you play sounds warm and definately great:AOK j/k

12. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

The OD channel sounded more Marshally with EL34's, which is the general sound I prefer. I didn't think the clean channel benefitted too much from the 6L6's either. The clean sounds great on both. It comes down to which OD you like.

13. cameron

cameron Member

I've played Shivas in a few of the rooms at Ultra Sound (back when I used to rehearse there with some regularity). I didn't really fuss that much over which tubes were in which amps, but I think when I noticed a particularly good one, it always had EL-34s (perhaps it was the same good one over and over again - I used a lot of the rooms, and in fact the amps tend ot migrate from room to room as well.)

If I were shopping for one (and I'm not, and probably won't be - I don't need a channel switcher) I'd probably aim for an EL-34 model without reverb. I understand they've upgraded the design recently. Is the no-reverb option still there?

14. Phil M

Phil M Member

Nice amps, I'm droolin' over here...

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

Man, I don't know what to say?

We were just hanging out play this or that sesson at his music room. We pluged the Shiva into cab or his recording speakers. Then I pluged his Marshall head. Wow! Great clean tone. Then Johnny played my Suhr strat... it was just
    sound like Johnny A!

We love amps!

Tomo

16. wsaraceni

i meant it as a compliment. sounds like you guys had a blast

17. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I've had several folks telling me quit messin round and go get a shiva. I'm on a digging the bad cat vibe here latley I tell ya but ,my fender Vibrolux clean is a tough cookie to beat.

Johnny

18. wsaraceni

i own a bad cat, love it. i also have played the shiva extensively. i love it. you cant go wrong with either in my opinion

19. Lution

Lution Member

thanks, holmes. :cool:

20. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I had a 1x12 EL34 Shiva for a couple years. Great amp. The only thing I didn't care for was the apparent lack of sustain especially on the high end. I guess the way to describe it would be dry on the top end. I always had to hit it with an FDII or a boost to add some sustain or my notes would just die off. Other than that I couldn't fault the amp at all and even the 1x12s are unbelievably loud.