1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

questions: Just got a 63 nos telecaster custom shop

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sssmile, Dec 21, 2005.

1. sssmile

sssmile Member

Ok first its beutiful
    second the neck is a bit fatter than the normal 62 size necks. Is this normal? Feels a little hard to play right now, but it is brand new. Over time do guitars loosen up and play better? I know dumb question I know it does but do you guys think this one will loosen up a bit it feels really stiff. Overall its a fantastic built guitar and does look great and sounds amazing I just wasn't expecting the stiffness. Lastly the neck pickup when engaged seems to be overally muddy. Sounds like a blanket on the amp is this the way they sound? I never had one so I am not used to this. thanks

2. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by stiffness? Any additional description to what you mean by that might get you more responses.

But using my understanding of what you mean, here's a few of my suggestion (assuming you don't do your own guitar tech work), and I'd do them in this order:

- get some Snake Oil Brand strings from TGP's own PinkStrat (aka Dean Farley). In regards to string tension (what some might call stiffness), this alone might be enough. Talk to Dean about what you mean by stiffness, and he will can put together an exact set of strings for your needs.
    Contact him at: LeoMuser@aol.com
    http://www.sobstrings.net
    - if you don't already use the best guitar tech in town, ask around for who that is in your city (ask on all the forums, or ask the pros who are playing local gigs)
    - get an RS Guitarworks (RSG) Premium Telecaster Electronics Upgrade Kit. This should get rid of the muddiness of the neck pickup:
    http://www.rsguitarworks.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=100
    - go to the tech and explain exactly what you mean by stiffness (as well as any other changes you're looking for in playability for every aspect of the guitar). Whatever you mean by stiffness, an excellent pro setup should adjust your guitar to your needs and "feel".
    - have him do a pro setup to your specs using the Snake Oil Brand Strings
    - have him install install the RSG Tele Electronic Upgrade Kit

3. Nelly

Nelly Member

The '63 has the old style tele wiring. Most people re-wire them to give the modern neck/both/bridge selection.

4. John C

John C Supporting Member

As Nelly and tonedaddy said, most people rewire them. I just wanted to add that I thought the rewiring instructions and any needed parts were included in the "kit" that came with the guitar, assuming you got it new. At least the instructions and parts are included with the regular production AV '52 and '62 Teles.

Slight hijack:

tonedaddy, how does the RS Guitarworks kit compare to the standard Fender kit?

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

The guitar won't loosen up, but you will, if you give it a chance. If you're used to playing Strats, a Tele will probably feel stiffer, at first. A Strat feels softer, to me, because of the trem. There is always a little give in the trem, leading to a softer feel when stretching strings. (Well, maybe if you block the trem, the give is gone.)

If you are used to a guitar with a contoured body, or one that has an upper horn, such as a Strat or a PRS, the Tele will hang differently, and that will cause some difference in feel. I like to wear my Teles somewhat high, but I can't wear my Strat as high, because of that upper bout. My playing position is different, with each guitar, so my technique, such as it is, changes. (I'm so used to Teles, though, that a Strat feels weird, and too soft.)

About the wiring changes. If you like the sound of the current middle position (which is the neck pickup only, and a working tone control), and you like the sound of the bridge-only position, don't use the 1Meg volume pot that comes with the kit. Only use that volume pot if you think the guitar is not bright enough, already. If you do use the 1Meg volume pot, you will have to use the little treble bypass cap that goes across two of the lugs on the volume pot. If you stick with the 250K volume pot, you probably won't need that cap.

Doesn't the RS Guitarworks Tele kit come with a 500K volume pot? I think that is too large. If the volume pot measures between 250K and 275K, you'll have a killer sounding Tele. If your volume pot measures down around 225K, you might think there is something lacking. (I just replaced the volume pots on my Teles. The old ones measure 220K, and the new ones measure 250K. The difference was readily apparent.)

6. sssmile

sssmile Member

thanks guys, sort of confused still
    mine is new didn't come with a kit
    the bridge and middle sound good
    the neck sounds like the tone knob is
    completely rolled off and sounds like
    the amp is covered under a mound of
    blankets. so I don't understand is this
    normal? if it is normal how do I fix this
    the bridge and middle sound good.

7. sssmile

sssmile Member

by stiffness I mean its a little fatter of a neck than I am used to and bending is a little harder at times than I am used to. It is a brand new guitar. I don't mind the lack of trem or contours, I just want this puppy
    to be a little easier to play I am not used to teles just yet.

8. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

Yes this is normal it is wired with a three way switch that selects bridge/neck/neck with a circuit that makes the guitar sound muffled and dark. Most people rewire them to bridge/bridge and neck/ neck. If you are handy with a soldering iron you can find the schematic and rewire it yourself. If not take it to a tech or have the store you bought it from rewire it for you. You should have received the instructions with the guitar for the rewire, but it seems as if the place you bought it from didn't include everything with the guitar.

9. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I have a 63 NOS Tele Lake Placid Blue & Rosewood board. It's my 1st Tele & I love it. Mine had the original wiring w/muddy sound. Had it changed and now sounds perfect. There were instructions & parts with mine to make the change included when I got the guitar. I also replaced the saddles with the Wilkinson adjustable type. The saddles are unplated brass, with allen-adjustable height. It now stays in tune like a champ.
    Here's a link to the Stew Mac page..

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Electric_guitar_saddles/Wilkinson_Adjustable_Compensated_Vintage_Tele_Bridge.html

10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I have found that a stiff feel usually means the guitar needs a set-up. How is the neck relief? Probably too much. What about the nut slots? Are they too shallow? Bridge saddle height?

Do any of your other guitars have the 7.25" radius and small frets? Your new one does. That makes the guitar harder to play if you're not used to it (and even if you are).

11. ricoh

ricoh Member

All this is true....... Maybe somebody can set it up for you.....Many do it themselves.............it is not difficult.......Ask around

Needs to be re-wired for the best perfomance too