Questions on a Nylon Acoustic (crossover): 48mm... Cordoba?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by sparkle**, Feb 14, 2012.

1. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

Look for Nylon Acoustic: 48mm... Cordoba?

i am looking for a single cutaway..Electric/Acoustic guitar

I am thinkin a crossover style guitar...
    I have been playing forever but never really a "classical" guitar player...

I have to play at a wedding and thought this is a good excuse to buy one....

Any other options...Makers etc...

Looking to spend under $1K...

2. pima1234

pima1234 Member

Godin Multiac. They have nylon string models specifically designed for steel string players.

Actually, my Line 6 Variax 300 Nylon got loads of compliments at gigs, but it has a flatter, more traditional fretboard. I've since installed an under saddle pickup (no mods necessary) on my concert classical guitar, which is iffy at best in regard to the value of that high end guitar, but the Variax worked so well (particularly for the price), I may just go back to that for noisy and outdoor gigs.

That being said, I'm still seeking a good deal for a nice Acoustic/Electric Nylon string, but one with a more traditional neck and fretboard. Ideally, with a Fishman Blend system or something along the lines of the Godin "modeling" system.

3. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

If you must have a cutaway, I suggest,

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitarsconcertcw.html

I have a LaPatrie Etude, and it is a lovely guitar. I use it alot, and it lends itself nicely to brazilian jazz especially....

:eek:)

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitarsetude.html

I say go out and play many guitars - I almost bought an $800 flamenco guitar and then tried the LaPatrie - stopped me in my tracks - it also sounds nice plugged into an amp or PA. 1/2 the price of the Cordoba I was looking at.

Try Yamaha or even Ovation if you are so inclined.

4. Tri7/5

Tri7/5 Supporting Member

IMO the Cervantes Crossover I deserves a hard look even though you're looking at under 1k. It doesn't have electronics but Cervantes really got this one right. There's a reason you rarely see one on the used market or in stock.

5. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

I've been playing the strings off of my two and a half week old Korean Breedlove N250 Passport crossover. LOVE IT! It's got a thinner, radiused neck that as a primarily solid-body player for the past two decades feels great to me. I used to play classical and had some more traditional classicals in those days (Yairi CY140, Yamaha something or other). And if fingerstyle is your primary concern, then most don't recommend crossovers because of the closer string spacing. But for use with a pick or similarity to your solid bodies or steel string acoustics, the crossovers are awesome.

So awesome that I sold my beloved main tube amp rig a few days ago (Bogner Ecstasy and Uberkab) and am in the process of buying a high-end, American-made crossover now.

6. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

7. AcousticDude

AcousticDude Member

Years ago, I tried a Takamine EC132C which has their cool tube preamp. I was pretty impressed. It goes for about $1K new. All solid woods and nice workmanship. I wouldn't call it a cross-over since it sports the standard 2 inch neck. But if I wanted an electrified classical that would be played out a lot, I would take another look at it.

8. rmhomer@btinterne

rmhomer@btinterne Member