Questions on Mission Amps 5E3 kit options...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by bizzwriter, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Supporting Member

Hey, guys. Getting ready to buy a Mission Amps 5E3 kit. I'm sure the basic kit is great as is, but Mission offers the following options:

* MERCURY MAGNETICS 59-OT +$53.00
    * CARBON COMP RESISTOR KIT +$14.00
    * CHOKE WITH MATCHING RESISTOR KIT +$27.99
    * TONE VOLUME MOD +$25.99
    * HUMBUCKER I&II and PHASE INVERTER KIT +$22.00
    * STK POLYPROPYLENE COUPLING CAPS +$6.00
    * SPRAGUE 475v ATOM CAPACITORS +$24.00

Are any of these "must-haves," or should I pass? Why would I want a choke if the original 5E3 didn't have one?

2. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

You might consider the MM OT, other than that, I agree, build it stock and modify it to you liking later if needed.

3. MisterAgreeable

MisterAgreeable Member

If you're looking for a low volume bedroom practice amp, the choke might be a good option. As said above, though, try it out as stock. If you're looking for a little amp that you can crank and hear power tube distortion it'll be fine, though champs are louder than people give them credit for.

I got sufficiently tired of all the hum from my vibro champ that I went and found a choke on ebay for like $7 and it quieted it right down.

4. kiteflyer

kiteflyer Member

I built his basic kit about two years ago. I think it sounds awesome stock. I did try the tone/vol mod, but preferred the regular circuit.

Many people love his stock transformers and I agree. Good luck!

5. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Supporting Member

Hey, guys -- thanks for the QUICK responses! Based on what you guys have said, I think I'll just go with the stock kit. Thanks! :AOK

6. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

The main mods that I REALLY like in a 5E3 is the choke and the PaulC mod. I'm not convinced that MM trannies are necessarily better, although I do have a MM "fatstack" P/T in mine just for kicks. I tried it purely because I could. It made me change the first two coupling caps from .1 to .022uF because of the extra bassiness, but I like the extra low-end clarity now. Still plenty bassy!

I have used Mallorys, Arcos and Sozos in mine and love the Sozos. It's a pretty subtle difference in this particular amp though. I think I like 'em because they're the most recent caps in there! I have F+T electrolytic caps in mine and they're fine.

7. Jim Fairbairn

Jim Fairbairn Member

Regarding the Mission 5E3 kit, how was the documentation/instructions? Are they adequate for a novice?

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

The stock kit is great and is miles above offerings by other companies in terms of quality. I would build it stock, then if you want to tweak or mod it, you can always do so later. But it is good to know what the stock amp sounds like so you have a point of reference.

The humbucker mod is cool if you find the amp too bassy. The vol/tone mod is cool if you don't like the interactivity of the volume and tone controls.

9. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Just caught this thread...been out of the loop lately. I would HIGHLY recomend the Mission amdp kit. Awesome amp and even though people may say that the components are not "High Quality", they are still very good and Bruce is more than helpful i f you need him. I built one in a weeks time and it has been awesome since the first flip of the power switch. I have since ordered tha PaulC mod and can't wait to work on the baby again. It is VERY addictive so be warned!!!