Questions re: Pinnacle 2 and Plextortion pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by luv2playm, Feb 22, 2008.

1. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

I'm thinking about getting one of these Wampler/Indyguitarist pedals. How are the picking dynamics? Do they respond well to volume adjustments on the guitar? Do they idle quietly at higher gain settings? Which of the two pedals might be better for high gain work with a Stratocaster? Thanks!

2. luv2playm

luv2playm Supporting Member

Anyone have some input they can offer?

3. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Come on people! I want to know this too!:phones

4. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

All the video clips I've seen have been really great.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I love my Plexidrive. Sold the OCDv3 for it.

6. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Not the one you asked about, but I really like the Ecstacy. Good touch sensitivity, good tone flexablilty.

7. funkycam

funkycam Member

I loved the youtube pinnacle clips but really didn't like the pedal in my rig. (strat & bf-ed twin)
    It seemed to be either muddy or harsh, with no spot where it sounded open & defined.. & if i got the 1st channel to an ok tonal balance, going to the 2nd channel made things really fizzy.

That said, I am not a metal guy at all & I really dislike the voicing of a lot of dirt pedals that others rave about: (eg tubezone, any of the tonebones, hyperpak)
    I think that in general I don't vibe with big muff style tone controls (where one side of the tone knob travel cuts bass & boosts treble & the other side boost bass & cuts treble, found on both tube zone & pinnacle 2) because there is no way to shave off bass without adding treble, so you get boomy or harsh ...

if you like the voicing of the pedal, it's definitely versatile & the finish is pretty, the build quality is great & the leds are so bright i suspect you could see them in space!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  8. Giannis

Giannis Senior Member

The pinnacle II Is THE marshall in a box. I have tried everything and for that high gain sound its the stuff. Excellent vintage/Modern switch. The vintage switch is very warm but NOT muddy with great definition and the modern switch is bright with presence and a little scooped. Kinda like a Peavy 5150. Did I mention tone? Great tone.
    For me nothing touches it, not even boxes 2-3 times the price.

9. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

What guitar/amp setup are you playing (and loving it through)?

10. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

I guess it depends on what sort of amp you are running your Strat into.

11. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

If you're asking me, mostly BF Fender-style amps (see my sig). I'd be playing a Strat but also playing a Les Paul.

12. papersoul

papersoul Member

Intresting, I was thinking of replacing my Xotic BB with this one or the Plextortion. Have you tried the Plextortion? I am also looking at the Holy Fire - $300.

13. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Some amps work well with some certain pedals and some just don't like pedals. I'm guessing because your Twin accentuates highs it brings out bad things in certain distortion pedals. It also depends on the speakers and cabinets you're using. My Fargen Blackbird (6V6s) head with an opened back pine cab and a Weber 12F150 does not like distortion pedals. You can hear the high-end fizziness in every OD or distortion pedal, until you use the pedal's tone control to turn the highs down and then you lose high end dynamics, resulting in a muddy sound. On the other hand, my Peavey Classic 30 (EL84s) with a G12H30 70th anniversary speaker with its opened back, sonically dead, particle-board cab loves any pedal I throw at it - but it can't compete with the cleans of my Blackbird.

14. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

There you go, that is why it sucked. These high gain pedals are not really meant for the single coil/fender amp combination. To get the most out of them you should at least play them through humbuckers.

There is a video comparo between then Zvex BOR, Pinnacle and Plextortion through a ValveKing 212 and both the Pinnacle and Plextortion sound great through that amp, so my guess it that the guitar must be the culprit.

My next distortion pedal will be a Plextortion... :stir

15. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Wrong. Wampler's demo clips from his site are done with a Strat and a Peavey Classic 50 and they sound fantastic. Check the Pinnacle clip out:

http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips2/distortion_pinnacle2.mp3

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

Nope, the Wampler clips I saw of him comparing the three pedals was not through a Peavey Classic 50.

17. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Yes, you are right about that YouTube clip comparing the 3 pedals. But if you click on the link I provided, you will clearly hear him say he's playing a Strat through a Classic 50 and it sounds amazing. Here it is again:

http://www.indyguitarist.com/soundclips2/distortion_pinnacle2.mp3

18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

You are correct, he is playing through a Peavey Classic and a strat, but my statement was that these pedals weren't meant for single coil/fender amps, and while he is using a single coil (he could be using a humbucker strat for all we know) he is using the Peavey.

A Peavey Classic isn't like a fender amp. You CAN use it to play metal and it won't miss a beat. Fender amps on the other hand can't say the same, well, at least not your twins and similar. I can't say the same about those FM212 since I haven't tried them myself...

19. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

still looking for more input on how they compare... P2 Vs Plextortion. Compare/contrast... which does what better? Both these pedals are on my short list of things to try next.

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

Thanks, I see what you mean. However, since I have an Egnater Mod 50, I can't ever see needing a pedal toget a tone. Maybe I'll stop my search.