Quick Blues Jr cab replace question...

jbow

Gold Supporting Member
I have a few empty 5e3 cabs laying around. I'm thinking of getting a Blues Jr III. I don't want a boxy sound, I had that with a Peavey Classic 20, so... simply, can I put a Blues Jr chassis into a 5e3 cabinet?
I paid for them like 10 years ago so my only cost now would be the BJ. I have a CVR, it's fine with a couple mods but darn heavy. The Deluxe Reverb is heavier than I want too. The Princeton is more than I want to spend. ALSO... I want the amp to be a good platform for dirt pedals, don't need a loop. I also have a Crate V-16 Palamino, I'm not sure if they are near the same but with el-84s I'm thinking they're similar. I also notice with BillMmods I can switch to 6V6 and more power, I know enough to do simple mods... so help me know what to do.
I'm open to ideas if this plan won't work.
My bottom line is trying to stay in the $600 range, using some of what I already have and gettingba good 1x12 platform for cleans and OD/Dist pedals. I have lots of speakers, tubes, and transformers like for the 5e3 and bandmaster... just info.
Thank you for the help!
Julien

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
The control cut out for the Blues Junior is 12-1/2" is the 5E3 the same, anyway I love modified BJ III in the replacement cab I got for about $250 it's a Hot Rod Deluxe sized 1x12 Pine cab. I think its well worth the money, I know your just looking to use a 5E3 sized cab but here is a shot of mine!

index.php

IM4Tone

I have a few empty 5e3 cabs laying around. I'm thinking of getting a Blues Jr III. I don't want a boxy sound, I had that with a Peavey Classic 20, so... simply, can I put a Blues Jr chassis into a 5e3 cabinet?
I paid for them like 10 years ago so my only cost now would be the BJ. I have a CVR, it's fine with a couple mods but darn heavy. The Deluxe Reverb is heavier than I want too. The Princeton is more than I want to spend. ALSO... I want the amp to be a good platform for dirt pedals, don't need a loop. I also have a Crate V-16 Palamino, I'm not sure if they are near the same but with el-84s I'm thinking they're similar. I also notice with BillMmods I can switch to 6V6 and more power, I know enough to do simple mods... so help me know what to do.
I'm open to ideas if this plan won't work.
My bottom line is trying to stay in the $600 range, using some of what I already have and gettingba good 1x12 platform for cleans and OD/Dist pedals. I have lots of speakers, tubes, and transformers like for the 5e3 and bandmaster... just info.
Thank you for the help!
Julien
The Blues Jr. is too costly for what you get....I recommend spending your money more wisely. I would never purchase an amp knowing that it wasn't going to satisfy without spending more money on it, especially when it's somewhat over-priced to begin with. And BTW, sadly, billm passed away a short while back.

Since you have some soldering skills, etc., get one of THESE (or one of many other brand) kits and put it in one of your larger 5e3 cabs. Consider the Proluxe option to run 6L6's for only $15 additional.

Unless you are after 'pristine' cleans (a la twin), I like the results of using pedals w/ my 5E3 head clone. And I wouldn't call my BJr. 'pristine' clean either.

But maybe you don't care for 5E3's??????

Last edited:

jbow

Gold Supporting Member
The control cut out for the Blues Junior is 12-1/2" is the 5E3 the same, anyway I love modified BJ III in the replacement cab I got for about $250 it's a Hot Rod Deluxe sized 1x12 Pine cab. I think its well worth the money, I know your just looking to use a 5E3 sized cab but here is a shot of mine!

index.php
Very cool, thank you. I want the lower wattage for Madison Square Bedroom. I think I'll give it a try.

jbow

Gold Supporting Member
The Blues Jr. is too costly for what you get....I recommend spending your money more wisely. I would never purchase an amp knowing that it wasn't going to satisfy without spending more money on it, especially when it's somewhat over-priced to begin with. And BTW, sadly, billm passed away a short while back.

Since you have some soldering skills, etc., get one of THESE (or one of many other brand) kits and put it in one of your larger 5e3 cabs. Consider the Proluxe option to run 6L6's for only $15 additional.

Unless you are after 'pristine' cleans (a la twin), I like the results of using pedals w/ my 5E3 head clone. And I wouldn't call my BJr. 'pristine' clean either.

But maybe you don't care for 5E3's??????
I have a 5e3 and several 5f1s I've built. I have a 5e3 with a Bandmaster OT that has been almost finished for a long time, indeed to finish it. I'm just thinking of the BJ in a Tweed Deluxe cab since I already have some of them.
I love the tweed sound but want something lower wattage and with more headroom but still not too loud ALSO able to handle more lows because of the 12". Most of my amps are too big or too small. The only tube amp I have in the 15w range is the V-16 and a Valvetech VAC @ 22w but it's a bit heavy too, getting older...
I have lots of OD and Distortion pedals I like to play around with. Swirly pedals work fine with the Mark V but ODs just well, nah.
Julien

Last edited:

jbow

Gold Supporting Member
I got a Blues Jr. and LOVE it!! It is a great amp for OD and Distortion pedals, not too heavy or too big. I REALLY like it for playing at home. BTW, I saw that Bill M passed, RIP. His page is still up and I'll look into possible speaker replacements. My stock tubes are "6". I have a pair of NOS Amperex Bugle Boy EL84s, no idea the rating on them but I may give them a try anyway. I think I have some JJs in a Crate V16, I'll look at them tomorrow. Have lots of NOS and used 12ax7 types, RCA, Telefunken, Sovtek, JJ, and others from the old days. Which preamp tube will make the most difference. I also have 12at7s and others to try but dang... maybe I got a good one but it sounds great to me!
Hlad I got it!

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
The first 12AX7 makes the most difference, I believe I've had a RCA 5751 in there for years with excellent results. The third 12ax7 is the phase inverter and worth playing around with; try a 12at7 in this slot. I don't think the middle tube makes any difference, tone wise. Great little amps, I have mine in a cab like jlagrassa's above.

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
Just wondering how the new cab affects the overall sound. Warmer? Fuller? Was it easy to install? Does it weigh a lot more than stock cab?

Fuller in the bass, more open in the mids, sweeter top end. It's actually a pound or two lighter than the stock cab, since it's pine instead of MDF. I don't remember the install being anything difficult, but it's been 2-3 years since I did it. The chassis holes are all pre-drilled; the only things you would have to thread yourself would be the reverb tank in the bottom of the cab, and the little wire strain relief that goes with it. If you can change a speaker in an amp, you can do it no sweat.

elicxirmixer

I have a BJ that's been BillM modded and is currently in a mojotone tweed deluxe size pine cab. Along with the Cannabis Rex speaker, this amp is exactly what I need it to be. It's the best TV volume amp I've owned, and it's serviceable for gigs when I've needed it in a pinch. I also changed the output transformer to up it to 18 watts. It will hang with a drummer in a bar with ~100 people no problem.
People love to hate on that amp, which is fine, as we're all entitled to give opinion on how we hear things.

However, you said you have $600 to blow. If it was me, I'd put the 5e3 cabs on craigslist (assuming you don't want them), so others can enjoy them. Add that money to your spending limit and get a used deluxe reverb.
In my opinion, that's the 1x12 platform for pedals under 50 lbs.

Fuller in the bass, more open in the mids, sweeter top end. It's actually a pound or two lighter than the stock cab, since it's pine instead of MDF. I don't remember the install being anything difficult, but it's been 2-3 years since I did it. The chassis holes are all pre-drilled; the only things you would have to thread yourself would be the reverb tank in the bottom of the cab, and the little wire strain relief that goes with it. If you can change a speaker in an amp, you can do it no sweat.

So, I'm assuming it's something you would recommend...? I have a tweed blues jr NOS that I bought used last year for a nice price. While I don't think it sounds boxy per se, it does sound a bit "small" (maybe that's what people mean when they say boxy, I don't know). I also have a Bassbreaker 15 which I have been playing a lot more lately. A couple days ago, I fired up the Blues jr instead and was surprised at how much warmer it sounded compared to the BB15 that I've been using. Maybe I just have a "good one" but it sounded really good to me. I've noticed a few people on here talking about a bigger cab and was thinking that might help with the smaller sound as overall I like the amp (despite the negative feedback it usually gets). Thoughts?

skunizzi

The best thing I ever did to mine. I still need to make a follow-up sound demo but it's really sounding great now. Changed the speakers, cabinet and reverb tank. Haven't touched the stock tubes just yet!

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
So, I'm assuming it's something you would recommend...? I have a tweed blues jr NOS that I bought used last year for a nice price. While I don't think it sounds boxy per se, it does sound a bit "small" (maybe that's what people mean when they say boxy, I don't know). I also have a Bassbreaker 15 which I have been playing a lot more lately. A couple days ago, I fired up the Blues jr instead and was surprised at how much warmer it sounded compared to the BB15 that I've been using. Maybe I just have a "good one" but it sounded really good to me. I've noticed a few people on here talking about a bigger cab and was thinking that might help with the smaller sound as overall I like the amp (despite the negative feedback it usually gets). Thoughts?

Yes, I would highly recommend the cab if you like the amp, intend to keep it, and want to get the best out of it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom