1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Quick Clip: Marshall Origin vs Studio Classic JCM800

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by bxlxaxkxe, Feb 11, 2019.

1. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

2. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

Put both the Master and Gain on the 20H on 8 in 20 watt mode. It'll be loud but the 20H becomes an entirely different amp then. I use a Hotplate to knock the volume down 8 - 12 db's.

3. bxlxaxkxe

Mushed out a little too much for me above noon with gain high

4. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

Try lowering the bass. My bass knob is never above 2, but usually off. Typical for any old Marshall too. Louder volumes pushes the bass and can make it flubby.

bxlxaxkxe likes this.
  5. bxlxaxkxe

Yeah the Origin is a lot like my 45. Lots of bass and doesn’t like too much gain- just doesn’t sound right. I plug into the Plexi when I want more gain and aggression

6. Shiva

Shiva Supporting Member

Thanks for the well-recorded clip. I prefer the Origin in this comparison.

Gasp100 and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  7. bxlxaxkxe

No problem and I agree

8. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

first listen I liked origin. I like 800 better. I hear better to my ears the note separation and a better sound between notes on one part of that demo.
    I like 800.

bxlxaxkxe likes this.
  9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Honestly, in that clip I feel the Origin crushed the SC20. Was it a tad louder? Or did it just record louder with more girth? (good sign for the Origin).
    I could literally use almost that EXACT origin tone as my basic tone on a gig, roll off for cleans and boost for everything else.
    Now you've REALLY got me thinking!
    Booteek cab though, unless you are telling me this is all loaded down with an IR?

lp1987x likes this.
  10. bxlxaxkxe

Yeah i think it is a touch louder which is unfair. BUT I’ll say this, the mini 800 doesn’t sound good to me doing anything other than hard rock-80s/90s tones. It’s extremely thin and and spikey until the gain gets to like 2 o’clock. I wouldn’t call it a versatile amp at all- at least with my couple of weeks with it.

And yes it’s loaded down going into an IR. Results are the same regardless though.

11. Gasp100

The Origin sounds pretty killer for being loaded down with an IR, like really good... How about in the room? Are you thinking about returning the SC20 and sticking with the Origin?
    I'm starting to think an Origin with very good tubes and pedals for different tones -- which is what I would need with the SV20 and even the SC20 anyway - through a great quality cab and speakers might be more my style. How is the loop in the Origin?

lp1987x likes this.
  12. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

This is exactly what I do, using a THD Hotplate for volume control. 20 watts is more than enough to hang with a loud drummer on small bar stages. I usually have to attenuate down -8dBs live. My only issue is getting an adequate lead boost. I just ordered a BadCat Unleash to see if the dual, footswitchable volumes can solve that problem.

I either use an old, no-name 2X12 loaded with RI Greenbacks or a Marshall 4X12 loaded with WGS Invaders. I did load it with real, Made in Great Britain, Mullard 12AX7's and Made in Germany Amperex EL34's. It really smoothed the tone out and took away the harsh treble response the stock tubes have.

Love the tone I'm getting with my 20H!

Gasp100 likes this.
  13. bxlxaxkxe

If I had to pick one I'd go Origin. But I like bigger amps and am playing my 50 watt plexi and jtm45 more than either of the little marshalls. Origin just sold on Reverb yesterday. Kinda sad to let it go- it has a lot going for it but gets overshadowed by my other amps. The 800- don't think ill keep it for too long.

14. Gasp100

I was actually thinking Origin 50 combo. It’s funny, I haven’t even considered other Marshall’s (HWs I guess or even vintage). Maybe I should broaden my horizons.
    BTW your clips have been outstanding and much appreciated! Also showing the powers of IRs and direct recording!

bxlxaxkxe likes this.
  15. bxlxaxkxe

Thanks dude. I mean it's all about budget. If you can swing the cash for a good Plexi clone and have a way to manage the volume, I'd go that route. Germino, Ceriatone, Metro, etc etc. They're just far more satisfying. Tone is better, bigger, and more inspiring than these mini Marshalls. Not hating on Marshall's latest offerings though, because it is all about the price and features. BUT....it's tough to justify 1.3k for the Studio series when ceriatone offers HW vintage correct builds for around 1K plus shipping. Or used specimens of Germinos go for 1.5-1.6k. The only reason to go for the Marshalls would be the 5 watt volume option, and that's still really loud, especially for the studio vintage to get any gain.

May as well get a PS and a full size clone and be done with it. IMO.

Gasp100 likes this.