1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quick couple of preamp Tube Questions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by pacomc79, Jan 4, 2006.

1. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

1) Is the Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH just a rebranded Sovtek 12AX7WA?

and

2) I've got EI Elite EL84's a Sovtek GZ34 Rectifier and a Tung Sol 12AX7 on the way. Is it terribly important that I get two of the same brand 12AX7 or can I mix and match?

Thanks, P.

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I can't speak to #1, but as to #2... no, it's not important at all. As a matter of fact, you may find that you find one company's tube works great as your Reverb Driver, but sucks as your initial gain stage tube. Another company might excel as your initial gain stage, but leave you cold as the Phase Inverter.

Mix & match, baby, find what works best and always be open to change!

In one of my amps right now the only tubes that match are the power tubes (matched pair). The *5* preamp/PI tubes are all from different makes - 2 of them are even NOS, made by companies that disappeared long ago :)

--chiba

3. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Ding Ding Ding we have a winner!

Chiba nailed it. I will grab a handful of preamps tubes then rotate them through every position in the amp to see what works. More spice in the mix!

Slick51

4. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

ah thanks guys. Upon further review Orange gave me some 12AX7LPS's to begin with. I don't think that they are remotely done yet, so I'll keep one in with the Tung Sol and order another brand or two to try as well.

5. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

Don't get stuck on brands until you you try several. Theses things (12ax7's) vary so much...as much as the curcuits they are going in. Always good to have a good variety on hand. If you are a tube amp user, you will always need these later on. The LPS's may solve some noise probs but may get a little raspy under higher gain IMO.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Answer to #1 is no, they're not the same.

Mix and match to your heart's content. Also, check this out.
    http://kcanostubes.com/content/newsletter_details.asp?ArticleID=4

7. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Howdy Mike, he said watching from the sidelines

-Jon

8. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I have noticed this actually, I can never get the pregain knob above 5 without getting fizziness but before that with the master up and the pregain at around 3 it sounds phenominal. Thanks for the help. I'll order a couple of different ones.

oh and thanks for the article Blue Strat