Quick dumb question about wattage

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by paraedolia, Aug 21, 2008.

1. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Quick dumb question about wattage: Is putting a speaker rated at 25 W in a tube amp combo rated at 20W going to do any damage to either?
    I've seen different recommendations to have speaker rating at least 2x the amp's rating...
    I've been using this one at low-ish volume and it sounds good. Gets a bit warbly at higher volume and I'm wondering if that's the problem. I think the amp also might need to be rebiased...?

I also have another speaker rated at 150W that I haven't tried in there yet -- would that be a better/safer match?

2. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Hi,
    I don't know the math, but I do know that a tube amp rated for 20 watts will put out peaks much higher than that. If you continue to play only at "low" volumes, you should be safe, but if you get into high volume territory, you may want to use something a bit more beefy. I would, just to be on the safe side. HTH

Mike

3. 909one

909one Member

I had a 38 watt Dr. Z that had a Celestion gh12 30 watt speaker in it. I played it loud alot, and it never damaged the speaker. I think some people choose speaker wattage for their amps based on how quickly the speaker breaks up as well. If the speaker is designed well, it should be able to hold up. I am not an expert on this, but just what i have noticed.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Depends on the speaker too. Some are more conservatively rated. The G12H-30 definately is. Bob

5. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Thanks for the input,
    It's an old Traynor 1x12 combo, with an old made in the UK greenback in it rated at 25W.
    So, I just swapped it out this afternoon for an Eminence Tonker I had lying around (rated at 150W), to see how it goes.
    I liked the sound of the Greenback though, at least without cranking the amp. At higher volumes, there was a bit of a warble to it I didn't like. haven't cranked it with the Tonker yet...so it might still be the amp. Tubes are getting old.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

You need a 'Valnott'
    My goodness,I laughed my ass off at the video.

7. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I hear that Eminence's Private Jack is pretty good at nailing the greenback sound (with a 75 watt rating!). I haven't tried it yet, but I've been pretty impressed with the recent Emi offerings I have tried. When I used a G12M in my 5E3, it sounded good, but the speaker broke up pretty quickly.

Mike