Quick! I'm about to buy this!!! Need 2nd opinions......

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MagnumSSS, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Why don't you send me the $1200 and I won't send you a computer either.

If it's too good to be true - it probably is.

Back away.

Just my opinion.

--chiba

2. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

That's my fear. But, not every good deal out there can be untrue. The guy is in Europe, his feedback is 100% positive and has a good amount of feedback. He says he has several other auctions b/c he has several of these. $1290 is his buy it now price. I'm waiting for a response back to a link with a buy it now feature. I have still not made up my mind.

Well, if I was going to give away $1200, I'd rather at least have "some" hope that I was going to receive what I paid for. Haha....

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I dunno - the guy has a good rating. I see no particular reason to distrust it.

4. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

MichaelK, good to hear from you. Thanks for looking out.

He said he would add a buy it now feature to the listing for me. Hmmmm.....I'm gonna post this on a Mac user Forum to get their opinions as well.

*******! Could this be a dream come true!? Or, will it be throwing a bunch of $ away!? ****.........I need some time.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

You have to actually look at his feedback. I did, and he mostly has seller's feedback for items he bought, all of which were less than $50, some $5. Very suspicious. Anyone dealing with computers, etc, usually has feedback that includes such things, but his doesn't. That's a red flag to me. :rolleyes:

You cannot get legitimate new PBs unless you are an authorized Apple dealer. Maybe they're hot. Some cheaters build up good feedback by buying lots of junk. Then they spring their trap, knowing that most buyers don't actually look at the feedback.

I followed some auctions like this before by one seller, where a bunch of people jumped on several PB units. I corresponded with the buyers after the end of the auction, and they all got burned.

Notice, he doesn't say anything about how he got them - it's all just cut and paste the standard info. And the category it's in is Cothing > Men's Shoes!!! :rolleyes:

6. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

There's no pictures on the listing, but the seller emailed them to me> I asked if it was stolen. He told me he got it as part of a "deal." He wants money to be wired via Western Union and can't currently take paypal payments even though paypal is listed as one of his options. He sent me a big "I give you my word email." I'm not buying it.

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

A legitimate seller would not have cut & paste all that info. Anyone who is in the market for a PowerBook, already knows those details and just wants the basic info, ie: cpu speed, screen size, RAM, HD, etc. They would have told a more believable story and not put it in Men's clothing for God's sake. I say it's complete ********!

eMail the winner and ask if he got burned.

8. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

That's what my gut was just telling me I should do.

9. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

run, don't walk, total scam, anyone who only takes western union is out to get the cash with no recourse from you.

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It sure is. And the Western Union thing is a huge red flag.

Take a look at the bidders in the bid history.

Screw it, it ain't worth the risk.

11. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

I investigated it thoroughly. it's just the guy himself trick bidding on them I'm thinking. I passed.

Ok, folks, sorry to interrupt, show's over.....we can all go home now....:D

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Why don't you report him to eBay as a suspicious seller, and give them all the details we revealed here?

13. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

yeah, I was thinking I should do that.