• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Quick intonation setup question

TheBuffalo

I've been trying to find the perfect setup for my sg that I'm now dedicating to slide. It has the wraparound bridge. I've put something pretty close to a .13 gauge string set on there.

All the strings are perfectly intimated except the g string is pretty sharp.(no it's not a wound g)

I've heard I can fix the intonation issue by changing the string size. So there's my question, if it's sharp, do I make the string bigger or smaller.

Also can someone explain why string size affects intonation in the first place? I'm guessing because a bigger string takes more winds to pull it into tune therefore changing the length of the string?

kimock

I've been trying to find the perfect setup for my sg that I'm now dedicating to slide. It has the wraparound bridge. I've put something pretty close to a .13 gauge string set on there.

All the strings are perfectly intimated except the g string is pretty sharp.(no it's not a wound g)

I've heard I can fix the intonation issue by changing the string size. So there's my question, if it's sharp, do I make the string bigger or smaller.

Also can someone explain why string size affects intonation in the first place? I'm guessing because a bigger string takes more winds to pull it into tune therefore changing the length of the string?
You'll need a wound G on there to get closer if you don't have a compensated tailpiece. A regular set of 12's comes out close enough for rock n' roll on my SG.
Also, you can kind of ignore the fretted intonation for dedicated bottleneck.
Just tune it to whatever you like and let the slide carry the tuning.

The general rule of thumb is the heaviest plain string will need the most compensation.
That's what you're up against on the SG with the straight bar bridge, which is what I'm assuming you mean by "wraparound".
Like a stoptail, right?

Top Bottom