Quick Mesa Maverick ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimD, Feb 13, 2012.

1. TimD

TimD Member

I've got a Mesa Maverick that sounds great, love features, the size and the tone ( just installed a new, Scumback H55).

The amp has a tiny bit of fizz that surrounds the decay of the note. I recently retubed the amp and just changed the speaker and am not sure what cold be causing this. It does it with and without pedals in line.

At first I thought it was a ghost note with the speaker, changed it out tonight and that's not it. As far as the tubes go, I'm running a nos 5751 in the v2 slot and I believe in the PI slot as well.

Any ideas or suggestions or is this simply inherent with this amp?
    Btw, as noted before, I love this amp even better than the Bogner Shiva I had a couple years ago ( my most recent channel switcher). These are great amps and quite the bargain used.

Tim

2. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

That happens once in a while to my heartbreaker, too.

My tonestack pots are scratchy and could use a deoxit cleansing. That's where my problem is coming from, and maybe yours, too. Not enough voltage to 'jump' (eg. arc) across the oxide layer.

Alternatively, crossover distortion due to cold biased power tubes is a possibility.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

is this a combo or a head + cab?

make sure you have the correct end of the cable going into the amp, and cab respectively.

same with the guitar ---> amp.

learned that trick here on TGP

4. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

The only cables I've ever ran into that have an indicated directionality are monstercables, I think. I really don't get it. An AC signal fluctuates in both directions. How can there be legitimate directionality to a cable.

5. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

i don't know how it works, but I also learned that changing the strap color and material (rubber vs leather) will also have an impact on your tone.

6. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Thanks, I get it.

7. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Not sure about the scratchy tone but I would try another tube as the phase inverter. Use a good 12AT7 for more headroom and a bit smoother tone overall.