1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Quick nut slot repair?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AshlandBump, Mar 20, 2006.

1. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I just switched to medium guage strings on my Heritage and the A string (now .036" / .914mm) keeps popping out of the nut slot. I don't have a nut file -- anything I can use to make the slot a little deeper?

Thanks

2. Evan Gluck

Evan Gluck Member

Take the string portion that you snipped off and run that through the slot like a file holding on both ends, it should work after a little elbow grease.
    Evan

3. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

I wish I hadn't thrown those bits away -- I'll use the end of new string. Thanks for the advice.

4. Rollie

Rollie Guest

Dan Erlewine would slap me for this, but I've used chick's nail files to cut the E and A string wider.

The other thing I've done is to use a sharp razor blade to literally cut the slots wider.

Unless you are pretty good with your hands, this will ensure that you completely ruin the nut and need to get the whole thing replaced.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Here's how to make a nut saw:
    -get a small hacksaw blade
    -use a grinder to remove the kerf from the teeth thus narrowing the cutting surface (fits narrower slot- grind as needed to fit)
    -use with great care
    -crude but effective

6. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

Check out your local hobby store, in the HO Trains section... Atlas makes a nifty saw meant for cutting tracks to length and it's great for cutting the thin slots in a nut. I use it to start all the slots on a new nut and then I work with progressively larger files to enlarge the slots to their final size...

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Here's a better idea. Buy a set of cheap welding torch tip cleaners. They are under $10 and have round files in a number of small guages that cover the guitar string range. They are not beefy enough to cut a new slot but perfect for enlarging an existing slot.

8. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

Thanks for the responses -- the string file and elbow grease suggestion did the trick, at least I think it did. I won't know until the next practice session, when I tend to hit the strings a little harder.

Where do you pick up cheap welding torch tip cleaners?

9. stratofied

stratofied Member

If you like the guitar why not take it to a local Luthier and have it set up properly? The cost for this should be minimal.

10. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member