quick p90's ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by neastguy, Jun 4, 2005.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I'm embarrassed to say, but I've never played a guitar equipped with P90 pups..... are they in between single coil and humbucks in terms of hottness? soundwise of course.....thanks...

2. webe123

webe123 Member

You are right on in your description of them.....about in the middle I would say between a single coil and a humbucker. I have a PRS Mcarty soapbar with P-90s and I LOVE it! Me and that guitar are gonna be together a while!

Try a P-90 guitar if you get a chance to, they sound great.

3. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Any thoughts on how a Tele would be with a P90/Tele pu combo in it ? I guess it would have to be a tele bridge/P90 neck since the only bridge cutouts are tele-sized ?

4. george4908

george4908 Member

P-90s are great in Teles (I have a couple), but the neck cutout is not P-90 sized and would have to be rerouted if it's an aftermarket addition. Keep in mind that most P-90s are significantly higher output than most Tele pickups, so you might want to think about a 2 P-90 Tele to keep things balanced. Probably better to build one as a P-90 guitar to begin with, rather than convert, since you will also need to use the modern Tele bridge.

5. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Thanks george . I went thru the mental gymnastics already on the rout/bridge thang , and I guess 2 p90's would be the deal . I could do the neck pu re-rout , but the bridge is the briarpatch there . I went thru the mismatched output thing with hummers (59 /Custom) :rolleyes: and cured that with a jb/custom (tb14) combo :AOK

6. tms13pin

tms13pin Supporting Member

I believe you can buy tele bridges with metal cut for a 'bucker,
    can you not?

Another possibility would be to drop a stack into the rear.

--Tom

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

IMHO, even better sounding than a Tele with P-90s is this "Tele:"
    [​IMG]

These high-output pickups do what I would expect P90s to do, but they don't. I've heard Tele's with P90s... they don't sound like Teles to me, nor do they sound like any guitar I would want. Maybe it was the particular P90s the guy used, I don't know. But I feel P90s really work best in mahogany guitars.

These are more in line with the ash/maple tone of a Tele, but aggressive, big and "buttery" like P90s.

Not to hijack the question, just to suggest an alternative approach.

8. george4908

george4908 Member

>>But I feel P90s really work best in mahogany guitars.

One of mine is exactly that, a Tele Jr. -- all mahogany body with a set mahogany neck. A Tele in shape, but really more like an LP Jr. with a longer scale. Warm and punchy.

But my other P-90 Tele is a Suhr ash body, maple/rosewood neck, and trem. Sounds totally different than the Tele Jr., as you'd imagine. Hard to describe the sound as the woods and the trem are trying to give it some of that almost Strat-like glassiness, but it still has a great deal of punch in the mids. Doesn't sound like any other guitar I've heard, but very cool.

Good call on the ASAT -- always like the sound of those pickups.

9. jordanL

jordanL Member

for a P-90 In a tele you might want to try one of the P-94 type pups- P90 in humbucker format. Its relatively easy to find a pickguard for one of those.