quick!! please offer advice on buying an old Music Man

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheRockDoc, Feb 27, 2008.

1. TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc Member

I am considering buying an old 212-65. It was the same model I had when I was a kid and VERY EXCITED to get one back.

It's got some issues- some cosmetically, but more like the reverb doesn't really work, it doesn't have the footswitch, only one of the four inputs (channel 1 and 2 each have 2 input jacks) has a full volume- or at least different than the other 3, no wheels, one of the midranges is not working...

little s(*& like that...

but I can get it for 275, retubed with 'electro-harmonix el 84's' (?). Did not have the original Sylvanias but appears all others are original...

any quick thoughts? I'm supposed to decide tonight (Wed) or early Thurs..

Thanks....

TRD

2. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

They are EL34's, not 84's. Theres a guy in Red Bluff Ca who works on them.
    If you buy it let me know and I'll give you his contact info. He can restore or mod them however you like.

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I can get the 130 watt head for a tad less money. I thought about getting it and asking Andy Fuchs to mod it. Doesn't it seem like they sounded great back in the day. Now, not so much.

4. TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc Member

thank you much- I believe the guy said they they were recently repaired, and the repair guy used 84's. I thought it was odd because I remembered big fat tubes when I owned one.

that alone makes me think I ought to pass...

5. TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc Member

I like the 130 head because you can flip the switch to 65... maybe I ought to wait on it...

thanks...