Quick praise for the Crate PowerBlock (my Fuchs ODS is out for hand-tuning)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deaj, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

I bought a Crate PowerBlock a while back to use as a backup amp. Aside from initial testing I haven't really had occasion to use it. Well, I sent my Fuchs ODS-50 SLX chassis back to Fuchs today for updates, hand-tuning, and a couple of extras so I'm down to the PowerBlock for the next few weeks. I'm using the Fuchs 1x12 combo enclosure (EVM-12L) as a speaker cabinet. I also have a Boss SE70 in the PB's effects loop and I'm using my pedal board up front. I was sure that it would be more than adequate to cover the next few weeks but I'm really surprised at just how good this thing sounds! No - it's not the ODS' equal by any stretch of the imagination but it does sound very good! I'd call it $80 very well spent.

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, my PB is always in my gigging trunk just in case. However, even though though it would never replace my fav tube amp, into a decent cab my PB does sound respectable.

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I know a few guys who use these for backup and love 'em for that purpose...or even quick rehearsal situations, etc.

4. rrhea

rrhea Member

Why did they stop making these? I'd love to get one, but they only seem to be available used.

For such a popular product I am curious why Crate discontinued them.

RR

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have one packed away in my gig bag as a backup never had to use it yet, a couple of weeks ago I did try it thru my 2x12 cab with a Celestion V30 and G12H30 and it sounds descent... for me it was a well spent $69 at a GC close out!

6. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

It's really a nifty little thing to have as back-up or for practice. Many jobbing keyboardists use them too. Throw a decent OD in front & let it rip too.

7. danel59

danel59 Member

The last 2 gigs I played, I left my ODS30SLX at home as they were small low volume gigs and used my Ethos into the PB's power amp or FX Return. Worked and sounded alot better than I was expecting. In fact our soundman who is really critical about stage volume was commenting how good it sounded. I think that combination works really well as it sounds fuller at lower
    volumes than I can get with my Fuchs at the same volume levels.

Keep us posted however on the Hand Tuning for your Fuchs as I want to send mine in as well and I am interested to hear what the differences are

Thanks

Dan

8. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

I heard there were reliability issues with the Power Brake.

9. Deaj

Deaj Member

I have a buddy who is using the same setup for some applications (Ethos -> PowerBlock) and he's also very happy with the results.

I'll be sure to post a full report / review once I have the ODS chassis back. Can't wait!

10. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

11. andyc

andyc Member

They are also very handy as fairly clean power for use with a stereo modeler. Such as Pod>Powerblock>stereo cabs. I use it that way with two Avatar 1x12" cabs. Sounds great. Not as great as my tube amps, but a nice, very portable stereo 50W/ch setup.