Quick Question About A Guitar Repair

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
I have a ‘70s Les Paul and the screw for the front strap button has become loose to the point where I can pull it straight out of the guitar with my fingers, no twisting required. I recently moved and asked the local guitar repair guy the best way to fix it and he said he uses a new really long screw to drill deep into the body. I know nothing about repairing guitars and can’t even set up my own instrument well at all, but something about this freaked me out. Does this fix sound right to you guys? Thanks in advance

Strummerfan

It would work, and there's a lot of wood there so don't be afraid of the idea. I would suggest a different approach. Take a few toothpicks, cover the ends in wood glue, put them in the hole and cut them to length. Drive the screw back in. Give the glue ample time to dry before hanging the guitar around your neck again.

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
Well, I just "toothpicked" the butt end of my LP to accommodate the smaller screws of Dunlop straplocks. For some reason Gibson used a larger diameter screw on that end . Works great so far, including a three hour gig this past Saturday. Tight as a drum. I didn't even use any glue. I did have to drill a little on the top one as the Dunlop screws are longer. No big deal.

ToneDeVille

I fill the hole with glue, either Elmers or Carpenters, then insert toothpicks, one at a time, breaking them off flush with the edge of the hole, until the hole is filled adequately. Use a small wire cutter to cut them flush if you prefer.

Then insert the screw/button into the center of the toothpicks and install the strap button. The glue also fills the screw threads like a thread locker.
Let it dry and go play. Chances are 99.9% you'll never have to fix that hole again.

Last edited:

Mr Fingers

Honestly, why not just do it right? The proper repair is to dowel the hole (a 2 minute job) and redrill for a slightly longer screw. Just using a super long screw in the same stripped hole will likely work... unless it doesn't. It's actually creating a lever into the horn, but the wood there is probably strong enough that this will not split it. Unless it does. Wanna gamble?

mschafft

Cut the ends of one or two toothpicks to the desired length (if there's minimal play a split toothpick can be thick enough). Fill the hole with elmer's glue, stick one or two toothpicks in depending on how loose the screw is. Put the screw back in without the pin, clean excess glue. Screw the strap pin without forcing. Done.

NSDQRKR

IMO I would do the longer screw if their is wood to grab it. I think either would work but with a heavy LP the longer screw installed right would make me feel better.

Jimmy3Fingers

Walnut or maple dowel, re-drill in the middle of the dowel for a long screw, so he was kind of right. I'll use toothpicks the first time one gets loose but after that it should be done right.

Honestly, why not just do it right? The proper repair is to dowel the hole (a 2 minute job) and redrill for a slightly longer screw. Just using a super long screw in the same stripped hole will likely work... unless it doesn't. It's actually creating a lever into the horn, but the wood there is probably strong enough that this will not split it. Unless it does. Wanna gamble?
As mentioned, go to Home Depot, get an oak dowel (or the hardest wood they have) and do it right.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I use chopsticks, rounded ones. Stick one into the strap hole, see how much wood you need, chop it off and glue it in.

I just did this on my CS SG that had the same issue, worked fine. I did need to sand down the tip of the stick to get as much wood in the strap pin hole as possible.

Toothpicks just don't have enough "wood".

Trending Topics

Top Bottom