1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Quick question about George L's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ryanformato, Oct 14, 2006.

1. ryanformato

ryanformato Member

I am going to buy some George L's from an Ebay dealer but do not know which ones to get. I like the blue color so at least I decided that. Here are the 3 links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTH-DEALER-George-Ls-Pedalboard-Cable-Kit-BLUE_W0QQitemZ130035874920QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTH-DEALER-George-Ls-Pedalboard-Cable-Kit-Jkts-BLUE_W0QQitemZ130035875520QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTH-DEALER-George-Ls-DELUXE-Pedalboard-Kit-BLUE_W0QQitemZ130035876750QQihZ003QQcategoryZ47075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do I get the regular George L kit, the one with added stress relieve jackets, or the one with gold plugs and stress relief jackets? Which is necessary/unnecessary. Thanks!!

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd get the stress relief jackets, they prevent the screw tops from loosening (which loses the circuit). I'd only use George Ls if you don't screw with your board a lot-they don't take well to repeated plugging/unplugging (or else recheck for continuity after each round of pedal changing). they do rout well and sound good, though. I'd go with plain ends with strain relief.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The right angle plugs are not any good caps or not, I always had problems. The straight plugs have never failed me. Believe me I've read and re-read how to make the connections on the angled plugs, it doesn't matter they still loosen up. The wire just has a colored jacket nothing more.

4. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

If you have George L cables that are failing, the fault does not lie with the cable. Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes, but the only reason a George L cable will fail is if it's not put togther properly and there are a lot more people using them successfully than there are people who say they don't work. The right angle plugs on my pedal board are at least three years old if not more. I've never had a problem with any of them and the cable that runs from my guitar to my board, which is just as old and has straight connectors, has never failed me either.

5. steveb

steveb Member

Thank you. I don't have ANY problems with mine other that when I did one in a hurry. Going on 7-8 years with most of the same ones. Even yanking the straight ones out of my Strat by the wire still hasn't caused any problems. Old style, no strain relief.

Steve

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I have right angles, jackets, not gold. Never had a single problem with them. Always worked perfect from the very first time, but some people report problems...who knows?

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

Never had any problems with the right angles. If ya have problems then I don't know what to tell ya, it doesn't get much simpler.

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've had some issues with the angled connectors, so I recently made new fresh connections and used Lok-Tite on the screw threads. I have high hopes!!

9. racktifier

racktifier Member

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

No problems with mine ever.

11. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

12. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

Now, how many of you that dont ever have problems change your board frequently?

I'd love to get some (use monster now (very good cables imo), but i like the idea of custom lengths), but I change it weekly, and i can't imagine those cables holding up to the movement and flexibility that i would need them to hold up against...

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I play around with my chain all the time and have various lengths of GL's that allow me to do that at a whim - or I can build 'em to fit with spare parts. No problems if you do it right the first time and keep 'em tight. I have absolutely no complaints. Struggled with good connections for a while, but once I learned how to cut them clean, I have had no issues.

14. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I bought Lok-tite in anticipation of a loose cap scenario when I first got my George Ls. But after putting them together and checking them out, I deemed it overkill. They're working just fine. Although I have it just in case...

15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

This is the whole reason I have gotten rid of the angled ends. I don't use a board and just grab whatever appeals to me that given night. This is probably why they didn't hold up...glad everyone else is happy but for me I'll stick with the straight ends.

16. K-man

K-man Member

Yes I know how to screw them together. And yes the connections DO come loose if you remove them frequently. However if you don't unplug them often then you shouldn't have a problem.

17. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I use batteries so I unplug all mine at least once a day. Maybe I've just been lucky.

18. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Maybe I don't rearrange my board as often as the next guy, but whenever I do unplug a right angle George L cable I check to make sure the screw cap is snug before I plug it in again. Do that and I'd be willing to bet you'd be a member of the "no problems at all" camp, too.

19. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

+1!