Quick question about power tubes

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Luca1979, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

I have a brand new amp (beefed up 5E3 style) perfectly tuned with a pair of NOS 5881 tubes.

Now I'd like to break in the speaker with an Ipod or other similar methods that don't require any quality in tone, so my idea is to put in a cheap used pair of 6L6's for the process.

My question is whether doing this will alter in any way the bias or other parameters in the amp.

I'm asking because of course when the break in period has ended I want to put those NOS 5881's in there and have everything perfectly tuned-up just like now.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. Malcolm Irving

Malcolm Irving Member

I suppose if you are only using the 6L6s to break in a speaker, it would be enough to just make sure they are not red-plating. If they are red-plating they could be destroyed, possibly taking more expensive components (such as a transformer) with them.

3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Why waste any tube life - use a regular hifi or PA amp.

4. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

A 5E3-type amp is cathode-biased, so just plug in the other 6L6's, see they don't melt down, and go about your business.

Jeff Gehring likes this.
  5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I don't see any downside in just using the NOS 5881s (assuming the amp is TRULY compatible with them...some builders SAY they are, but they run at meltdown conditions). Unless you're going to break the speaker in for 1000 hours, the amount of wear of the tubes will be minimal.

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Just play the amp. The speakers will break in fast. I remember when my speakers were new a metal zone sounded great through them. After the speakers were broken in so to speak the metal zone no longer sounded good.

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.