• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Quick question about replacing LED light on pedals...

Rick74

I have a couple of newer MXR pedals that I'm doing some mods to, and also want to change the color of the original factory LED's... Is this as simple as just going to a Radio Shack and choosing which color I want and swapping them out? Or is there something else I'm not aware of?
Thanks!

RobertKeeley

Platinum Supporting Member
It is generally about that simple! The only 2 little quirks that I think you will encounter are that LEDs "only go in one way" (meaning they have a polarity, +/-) and there is a voltage associated with them. I think for the most part if you flip over the LED package at Radio Shack and read that the the turn on voltage is 1.6 volts to say 3 volts you'll be okay with most pedals. Then there is a matter of polarity. If you look at the base/bottom of the colored part of the LED it will be round for the most part; there is a small section that is flattened however. That is the negative side. You will want to make sure your new LED is inserted the same way. (There is also a distinctive internal structure you can see and you can match them up that way.) If you get the polarity wrong it just won't come on and you'll have to reverse it. No big deal, I wouldn't expect smoke or damage at all. Great first project. Email me anytime if you have questions. Send pictures, that often helps.
Good For You!
rk

jaywalker

Does the same go for multi coloured LEDs? I've always fancied one that changes colour on my vibe for example....

Loop-Master

It is generally about that simple! The only 2 little quirks that I think you will encounter are that LEDs "only go in one way" (meaning they have a polarity, +/-) and there is a voltage associated with them. I think for the most part if you flip over the LED package at Radio Shack and read that the the turn on voltage is 1.6 volts to say 3 volts you'll be okay with most pedals. Then there is a matter of polarity. If you look at the base/bottom of the colored part of the LED it will be round for the most part; there is a small section that is flattened however. That is the negative side. You will want to make sure your new LED is inserted the same way. (There is also a distinctive internal structure you can see and you can match them up that way.) If you get the polarity wrong it just won't come on and you'll have to reverse it. No big deal, I wouldn't expect smoke or damage at all. Great first project. Email me anytime if you have questions. Send pictures, that often helps.
Good For You!
rk

Now looky there..isn't that just awesome? The man endures a loss due to a fire and I am sure he has a bazillion things going on and he still comes in for a chat. You rule Robert.

Cpt. Picard

You might notice a change in brightness, depending on what color you go to.

Differnet LEDs emit different intensities of light given the same juice.

I doubt you'll see enough of a diff to matter, but if it's dim, put in a lower value current limiting resistor.

(to find it follow the positive terminal of the LED, the first thing it connects to is prolly it.)

Trending Topics