Quick Question about setup/tension

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drod2045, Jan 9, 2008.

1. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I just got my Hot Rod 52 Tele setup. Lately, my setups are 11 power slinky's to Eb with high action. On my strats, its been extremely comfortble and I love this setup. I just got my tele setup and the stock action was too low so I had him raise it. After the first setup, it was still too low so I had him raise it again. I went to get it and it was just about where I like it, good enough where I wouldnt ask him to redo it really. So when I brought it home and played it for a while, I noticed that the string tension is rather tight. It didnt feel this tight prior to him raising the action the 2nd time at all. Can this be adjusted for? It is noticeably tighter than my strats. Its not unplayable, but it isnt that comfortable on vibrato bends

Ps: I didnt use power slinky's on the tele. I used Daddario 11's. Perhaps its the strings?

2. drod2045

drod2045 Member

8 views and not one reply? :(

3. robbph37

robbph37 Member

I have a similar post about string tension. Some feel tension is a bad word but it is what I use. From that post some suggested saddle adjustments and possibly a different nut. Try to find the post and you will read some good suggestions. This is a hot button with me when I shop for guitars.

4. Dollar

Dollar Member

I always felt that D'Addario's felt a little tighter than EB's. Also, there may be a difference in the feel between the tele's set bridge and a strats's trem bridge (depending on how you set the strat bridge).

5. drod2045

drod2045 Member

Dollar, I have my strat bridge setup flat on the body, 5 springs holding the block tight against the body

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

It could be the strings, but:

What kinda strat it is that you have and what kinda bridge/trem does it have? Is the trem set floating? Is the trem block drilled deeper that the ball ends are in the block instead of anchoring just inside of the block?

If your trem is set floating, the strings would feel looser.

Also, if the string wells of the block are drilled deeper and the ball ends are in the block, the string length of each string behind the saddles is shorter than the tele, that'd make the strings feel looser also.

Nut, fretboard radius and fret size and neck shape, all these come into play.

7. drod2045

drod2045 Member

RV Chevron, thanks for your questions. here are my answerw :D

I have two strats but for this ill compare my John mayer Strat (bone stock)
    JM Strat (Stock):
    Vintage trem, block is held down tight by 5 springs, have never done any drilling to it as it is bone stock, medium C shape neck, 6105 frets, 9.5 radius, .11 EB Slinkys
    52 Hot Rod Tele (stock):
    Tele style bridge with compensated brass saddles, Ushape neck, med jumbo frets (6100?), 9.5 radius, .11 Daddario strings

I call my shop and they said I could bring it back and theyll see what they could adjust to help. They said "we want you to be happy with your setup so bring it on back and we'll work at it"

Thanks. Maybe I can give them a few tips based on the help from you guys! ;)

8. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

The tension does vary quite a bit from brand to brand. My CP 50s Strat played great with D'Addarios. I put on a set of DR True Blues because I usually like the sound and feel, but it lowered the tension to the point that tone suffers unless I play with a very light touch (that aint happenin' LOL). It could be set up to play well with the DRs, but in this case I think I'll just go back to the D'Addarios (if it aint broke...). Besides the difference in strings, many other factors can affect the perceived stiffness of the playability. The relation between the string tension, neck relief, and action height being crucial. It's all a matter of finding the combination that works best for any given guitar. I've had Strats I never could dial the stiffness out of (without going to really light strings - which don't suit my playing). But most can be tweaked to play just fine. Did your guy do a fret dress or just set the relief, action and intonation? Proper fretwork (rarely comes from the factory) makes more difference than anything.

9. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Hey, Thanks for your answers!!:D

I didn't mean to ask if you have drilled out the block. I meant to ask if the block came stock with shallow string wells like on your vintage trem.

Good luck to have it set up again, hope this time they can make it right for you.