• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Quick question, can you get Phish tones out of a Mesa Boogie Mark Iv?

jeff_lebowski

Since the mark III has shared controls for eq I would assume he used the pedals because it gave him more levels of gain without having to deal with those short comings from the amps shared eq.

With the mark IV every channel has its own eq section so IMO you just need one ts and the ross to cop those tones because the amp can do more of the heavy lifting.

dangeroso

Which tone? He's played though a lot of different amps over the years.

*** edit, just saw 1.0 above.

I will say that more so than most guitarists, he seems to get the same tones out of a variety of different amps.

musicbliss

Silver Supporting Member
Any Mesa mark or fender amp with headroom with a ts and a Ross style comp and hollow body/semi hollow paf humbucker guitar is going to get you in the ballpark. Even a les Paul will - remember the band Phix? That guy played a les Paul and it sounded like early Trey tone wise.

I’ve seen dudes play a 335 into a fender hot rod deluxe with a ts mini and sp compressor and sound a lot like early Trey because the dude played like Trey - the phrasing, licks, attack all that stuff.

not trying to make a playing is in the hands quote - but i don’t think you will find a huge difference in this ts vs that ts or a mark 3 vs 4. It’s more about getting in the ballpark and then learning the style

oh and I was totally obsessed with Trey so can relate to the chasing that tone!! Have fun with it!

Neptical

@musicbliss 100% agree ...pretty spot on. The Mark IIIs aren't absolutely necessary for Trey tones. As a Trey fan myself ( still own both my Mark III Simulclass heads with an EV12L Boogie Half back), the Ross, TS, and his own technique are where that tone lies. Even a Marshall ( low gain, driven hard and loud) with those pedals will still get you in the ballpark.

dcbc

In the 1.0 setup, a TS10 made an appearance as well. I ran one with an 83 TS9. Honestly, I'd skip it and just go with a couple of TS9 reissues. Maybe send them to analogman for the brown mod or the silver mod. The tubescreamer type makes less of a difference than that Ross compressor and the Languedoc guitar. I've made it work with an PRS HBII, a Ross, and a couple of TS pedals into a vintage DR. I think the guitar and compressor are the keys though. After that, anything relatively Fenderish and TSish will take you the rest of the way.

Last edited:

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
With the mark IV every channel has its own eq section so IMO you just need one ts and the ross to cop those tones because the amp can do more of the heavy lifting.
No. Channel 1 and Channel 2 have shared EQ. Channel 3 has its own EQ.

jeff_lebowski

It’s the Mark V that’s has individual channel EQ’s.
For sure, I was thinking of the V.

I still stand by the IV being able to cop Phish tones really well. Great amp. I sold mine because I only want amps with 2x6l6 these days.

Trending Topics