Quick questions about Canada!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by j_m_s, May 25, 2015.

1. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Would really appreciate some advice on these!

1. I need to pick up some sort of pre-paid SIM card for data and stuff like that. Will be in the country for a month. Which provider has the best coverage/deal around?

2. I have some pedals I might bring over to try and sell, how much does local postage usually run? And what are the local forums/classifieds available? (Other than TGP of course)

3. Might be looking to pick up some RAM for my iMac, would like the grab 32gb, which is 4 8gb sticks. Any online retailers or chains I should look out for?

I'll be in Vancouver (Surrey, BC), Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, Waterloo and Ottawa.

Thanks!
    James

2. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

Petro Canada Gas Stations offer SIM cards & data minutes. Stations all across the country so finding one isn't a pita. I have one of their SIMS in a phone and it seems to work well.

Canada Post Parcel Rates...sorry, I've never shipped much of anything, maybe someone else can help you out there. Kijiji Classifieds is the canuckian equivalent of Craigslist....sorry to steer you in that direction. ;) But it's Canada wide as well - and just as hit & miss as Craigs.

Mac Memory, CanadaRam has a pretty solid reputation, I think it's based somewhere in Vancouver. (Victoria maybe...? Not sure.) They seem to have a few locations around, Toronto as well. And of course, Best Buy & Future Shop, will 'sometimes' have it in stock. There is a MacStore in Toronto, though prices could gouge. Ohh, and NCIX. Could be a west coast/Van option for you as well.

cheers.

3. Belmont

Belmont Member

you might want to look into getting a bullet proof vest for your Surrey visit.

4. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Thanks!

@Belmont, ha I'll be extra careful there..

5. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

In the greater Vancouver area, craigslist is king for selling off guitar gear.
    Surrey is not dangerous. Yes, the jokes are sooooooo funnnnnnny. (yawn). Unless, of course, one wants to hang around people tied to organized crime. Crossfire is a b*tch.

6. bender

bender Member

Hi James

I am a Canadian living in Australia now . . . so . . I had to go back to Canada and needed a SIM--this worked across the country for me and I was very happy with their service: http://www.similicious.com/

The other questions I can't really answer!

--Bender

7. Belmont

Belmont Member

20 year old indo-Canadians killing each other is "organized" crime, always good for a chuckle.
    you're right though, there's nowhere in North America that's dangerous.