Quick recording from rehearsal--Axe fx in room and direct-mostly clean/low gain drive

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tonesville, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tonesville

tonesville Member

Here are a few clips from recent rehearsals with Axe going to cab via output 1 and m-audio mbox via output 2 with cab sims (redwire umm....JBL's I think). I've been just blown away again at how easy this is and knew I wanted to come here to post 'em.
    We miked the bass in the room and brought in mostly direct guitar tones w/ a bit of room mic to add body. Using the ODS on all of these and the drive should be the super od. Oh, I'm playing fingerstyle on all of these. Played on my latest hollow bent-top.

This one (and a few others have a suitcase as a kick drum!)-an original:
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11470046

A tweak'd version of all blues-try not to laugh at the drum being out of tune w/ the bass! :
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11470061

These are only quick rehearsal takes, NOT finished product. That's the reason I wanted to post them...setup for all of these took me all of 10 min. and the results are silly good I think.

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Great stuff! I really enjoy when somebody post some Jazz on these pages. Like!!!! Well done guys.

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Dude, those are awesome clips! First clip has shades of John Scofield, 2nd more Frisell. I'll definitely be checking out your band's other stuff.

4. tonesville

tonesville Member

Thanks everyone! Guilty as charged on the Frisell influence! The Axe has been soooo good with these quick takes!
    My first cd was done w/traditional amps/mics but I'm gonna go all Axe on the new stuff (will probably save money on production time, too!). Just want to get some of the Ownhammer ir's. Oh, this is done with the lowly standard axe!

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Sounds great...wonderful playing!

I tend to use the cleans a lot so it's nice hearing some clean clips posted, let alone some Jazz.

Well done! :aok

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Seriously enjoyed the music - tones were perfect for the material and you play exceptionally well. Nicely done. :aok

7. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Exactly my thoughts. Really enjoy listening to that

8. tonesville

tonesville Member

Thanks again everyone! Scott, being the axe fx ambassador that you are, I have to mention the post you made back in '08.
    It was about setting your delays and verbs to a pitch modifier to avoid the mush that can happen with too much on lower notes! That was the post that made me buy mine (I'm an '08'er). That showed me that this box can get as picky as I can! The routing power is glorious!!

9. French Fry

French Fry Member

Great music and tones!

Give it up for the bass too! sounds great!

10. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

great to hear this as someone who 1) just got an axe standard and 2) plays this kind of music

sounds great!

11. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Sounds great, thanks for posting!
    -
    Austin

12. tonesville

tonesville Member

Heck yeah, standard brother!
    If money wasn't tight I'd probably get the Axe 2 but I'm not sure. I tried the last firmware that used a bit of the 2's mojo code in it but found that I liked the last one better?! The 10.00 fw did sound more like an amp.
    I guess I want better tone than a tube amp?! With the axe I can go in and remove spiky highs and funky mids and taylor the response to my ears. To do that w/ a tube amp would take years and mucho monies.
    I do think I'll try the 11.00 fw (I think it was 10 I tried before) soon, though.

Here's another w/ Super OD-a quirky little Monk tune:
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11470063

This original is pretty cool:
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11470049

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Very cool. Glad to have helped a little if at all - now send me some of your chops please. ;) :D

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

This is really great stuff.

15. French Fry

French Fry Member

I'm really just diggin the music.
    Do you have plans to sell your album online through iTunes/Amazon/etc ?

16. tonesville

tonesville Member

Thanks man, yeah I do plan to place tunes in all those spots....just getting ramped up again and need to get it going asap. i-tunes will be first. I'll let you know when I put em up. The cd from '06 (Brilliant Shadows) is available on cdbaby (old-school, I know!). I've put a few more demos up on reverbnation/fb including the older tunes.

17. snoop335

snoop335 Member

Hey Tonesville,
    great stuff - I really enjoyed listening to some jazzy stuff - especially as this is the kind of music I try to do myself.

Got my Axe II a month ago. I would love to get some more background on how you achieved your great tone in those recordings. Would you mind to provide some details?

(I would love to ask for your patches, but I think they won't work on my axe ii - since you are on a standard?)

Take care

Snoop

18. tonesville

tonesville Member

Hi Snoop,
    Lets see...I tend to focus on a few things w/ the axe. I like to dial in some things w/ cleans that are more commonly heard in overdriven tones. To pull up lots of harmonics/overtones there are a few parameters I like-lower damp settings (don't know the axe 2 names for parameters, sorry) and tweaking the b+ capacitance helps, too.
    I vary the sag settings per guitar-the bloom you can get w/ higher sag on some amps is great. I also like higher master settings. I guess my approach to cleans is to dirty them up a bit. The axe is just like and amp in that higher master settings can get you some really great dynamics.
    So overall I look for the amp that's gonna give the fattest clean single notes (ODS, though it's pretty compressed) and start dialing in the harmonics with close voiced chords. It's really about tuning the thing to my style. As you can hear I play LOTS of close-voiced chords (w/ half steps ringing against each other) and the higher the harmonics the better I like it, but I have to avoid thinning out the single notes! Really just trying to balance two opposites, grasshopper!

Hope that helps!!

19. Laskyman

Laskyman Member

brilliant.....thanks for the share

20. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Very cool indeed!