quick strat question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mustangman, Aug 1, 2005.

1. mustangman

mustangman Member

i have a fender usa strat and i was just wondering when you plug in and put the bridge pickup on and turn the tone pots down or up or what ever if it changes the tone. cuase it doesnt on mine........

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

never mind i found out
    sorry.

3. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

That is how strats are normally wired. the tone knob only affects the neck and middle pickups.

there is a very simple mod where you can move one wire over (on the 5 way switch) and that will move the the middle tone control over to the bridge pu - where its really needed imho.

4. mustangman

mustangman Member

so in other words. there will be a tone controll for the neck and the bridge and not the middle? (with the mod) and do you have a schematic or can you tell me which wire i would have to move.

thanks.

5. alderbody

alderbody Member

There is a way to have one tone control for bridge and middle and one for neck only, and this is the Fender Am. standard Strat wiring.

If you remove the pickguard, you'll see that there is a cable going from the second tone pot to the switch.

If you wire a small cable from that connector on the switch with the one next to it (the one that is unconnected in the picture), you're there!...

In case you only want to have neck and bridge tone, just move the wire i mentioned before to the empty connector on the switch.

[​IMG]

6. alderbody

alderbody Member

btw, since you'll open up the strat, why don't you do the star grounding and shielding as shown in the guitarnuts site?

this will reduce noise and hum quite a lot...

7. mustangman

mustangman Member

thanks for the info guys.

8. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I did that tone control mod on my strat yesterday actually...
    I used the gearnuts method using a small cermaic capacitor and soldered it from the bridge pup to the mid pup on the tone side of the 5-way selector blade. It took me more time to get the screws off the pickguard than it did for me to do it. It was easy as pi.

9. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I want to post a pic but there is not attachment section...

Do i have to use a hyperlink?

well here goes..

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=12690683

That is the pic of the gearnuts mod on my strat. I elected to use a ceramic cap because A. its smaller, and B. The radio shack guy said so:D

I highly reccomend this mod, it makes the bridge pup s much more useful to me. I like the neck bright so it was always a compromise, now its all great.