Quick switch question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NoahL, Feb 20, 2015.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

Two pickups, both meter fine. The bridge is on a Duncan Triple Shot and it meters fine in all four configurations. So they're good. The neck works when the switch is set to neck, both work in middle position, but the bridge doesn't work when switch set to it alone, regardless of the configuration. This must be a mechanical switch issue, right? Or could it be a bridge pickup ground issue, so that it works through the neck ground in the middle position? I'll just switch the two hot leads to the switch and if the problem reverses itself, it's the switch mechanics, correct? If so, it's the second straight bad switch in this batch. The first one had a badly stamped out leaf spring on one side. It was missing a smooth chunk, right from the factory. I've redone the solders five times.

2. StratoCraig

StratoCraig Member

You don't say what kind of guitar this is, but I'm guessing it's something with two pickups and a Gibson-style three-way switch (or equivalent).

I would guess it's a switch problem. The bridge pickup is fine or it wouldn't make a sound in any switch position. Your theory about the neck pickup grounding through the neck pickup's ground doesn't make sense to me. If the bridge pickup isn't connected correctly, I don't see how current could flow through it at all.