Quick "vibrato" rant

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gas-man, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Just listening to some pedal sound clips.

Must every other danged note be throttled with vibrato? :NUTS

What did the note ever do to you, anyway? You can just let it sit there and enjoy a little peace? You have to shake the crap out of it? :messedup

Is that what "playing with soul" means? :jo

Let the note be! :puh

Rant over.

2. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

Esp. when demoing a tremelo pedal with a Strat thru a vintage Fender amp using both the Vibrato and Reverb eh?!?

3. darth_vader

darth_vader Member

One of the biggest things I've learned so far about playing guitar is when NOT to use vibrato. I actually picked it up from singing when my teacher pointed out that if you put vibrato on every note or word, it completely loses its impact. Now I've transferred that over to my guitar playing and it's made a HUGE difference.

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I can't decide whether my mosquito-like vibrato on the minor 3rd of the scale that I always use no matter what, or whether it's the one stupid little lick I seem to be unable to stop playing every 8 seconds in any solo in any style, but one of those two things is the most annoying thing about my playing. :( I'm thinking it's the vibrato.

5. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

this is a bad habit that I can't seem to shake, makes me cringe whenever I listen to a recording of myself

6. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

If you can't give up vibrato entirely, then there's the option of trying to make it different...use it as the expressive device it's intended to be. Fast, slow, shallow, wide, rythmically pulsed, steady, accelerating, decelerating.

Try classical style vibrato where you can make the note go flat instead of only sharp.

I tend to use too much vibrato too...but I only really notice it when the vibrato that I've chosen doesn't mate up well with the part of the song that I'm playing it in.

Cheers

Kris

7. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I don't have a problem with vibrato. I DO have a problem with bad vibrato.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Using the same vibrato sound/approach over-and-over is as distracting as having no vibrato or having poor vibrato. Be musical, phrase intentionally, vary approaches...

9. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

It's funny, whenever I see these vibrato threads I realize that vibrato is something that I never even think about, and I rarely notice it in the playing of others (unless it's really obvious, like shaking every note really fast.)

Hmmm, makes me wonder if mine is "good" or not.

10. SGNick

SGNick Member

Angus Young.... MMmmmmmm....

Sorry, any discussion about vibrato immediately sends me on a mental journey through the AC/DC Catalog...

11. jaycee

jaycee Member

You have to hear a recording of yourself in order to really get it. When i first noticed my 'over-vibrato' technique i was mortified. It's just something you have to realize and then be conscious of. Then you can take control of the note instead of it controlling you!

12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Because unless we talk mondo gain and/or compression the actual physical motion of the vibrato, the "bowing" the string against the fret keeps the note going longer, that's why. What you do with it is anothe story.

13. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

So I guess if I don't notice it, it mustn't be too bad then.

14. snacker

snacker Member

guitarists seem to forget that vibrato is meant to shape a note, which means varying the speed and depth of a finger vibrato - think.....elvis costellos voice

15. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

More importantly can you ask the opera singers to spot vib. every note first! :puh

16. jtm622

jtm622 Member

As far as modern electric guitar playing goes GOOD finger Vibrato is what separates the men from the boys, IMO. GOOD finger vibrato is MORE than just shaking the sh#t out of a note while one bends it slightly "sharp", and it takes years of practice to get it right. That said, OVERUSED and really BAD finger vibrato seems to be everywhere these days... "Nervous and consistently tonally sharp" seems to be the norm for vibrato - not the exception. Give me some Old School Schenker - he does it right, IMO.