Quick. Would you consider buying an Sg with this crack?

Ugly Bunny

neeeeeuuuuuuuooooope. I wouldn't risk it unless it was the best price and you loved everything else. Unfortunately, you can't really tell too much from that pic. It's not all the way through, is it?

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
Here is the information provided

Condition is excellent, Frets are perfect, no repairs, only issue is a small crack on the back of the head/neck. It doesn’t affect playability at all. but if you wanted it to be perfect, it should be filled.

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
With that crack, no... maybe $500.. then to a luthier to fix and refinish that spot....

cap10kirk

I wouldn't pay $800 for it, but I don't feel it's priced way too high. If it were just a Standard, I wouldn't even consider it, but it is a 61 reissue.

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Silver Supporting Member
Can you hold it first? Or is it an internet sale? I might would consider this:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/ORVILLE-GIBSON-SG-61-REISSUE-/132031688341?hash=item1ebdb3ae95:g:3ksAAOSwcUBYTdRG&_trkparms=pageci%3A4e03fe45-c70f-11e6-9142-005056b67bb2%7Cparentrq%3A1ea628291590a350d8ea6a47ffd15dca%7Ciid%3A8
I would be a great conversation piece when you're playing out and about.

Edit: I've never heard of a 97 showcase, but this is on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/3442693-gibson-61-reissue-sg-showcase-edition-97-ebony-black

OiRogers

They used a lot of words to say "broken headstock"... even if it hasn't broken off yet.

Can it be repaired? Yes.. easily and stronger than original wood. But it kills the value to most buyers.

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
Its an easy fix but it is a broken headstock. Even if you get a great deal on it, should you need to unload it, it will be a challenge. I swear my Tokai plays better after I broke its headstock, but probably my imagination. I can't get a buyer to come within a 100 miles of it...

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
Can you hold it first? Or is it an internet sale? I might would consider this:

Edit: I've never heard of a 97 showcase, but this is on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/3442693-gibson-61-reissue-sg-showcase-edition-97-ebony-black

The Showcase Edition SGs came out in '88 (they say 'showcase edition' on the back of the headstock) and a '61 wouldn't have a big pickguard like that, at least as far as I know. I think the seller is mistaken.

OP: $800 is too much IMO. $500, maybe. If I loved the guitar the headstock repair wouldn't scare me off, as I (and many others) have had guitars with repaired headstocks that had absolutely no issues (other than resale value).

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Asking $800

Think maybe I should pass.

I just picked up a mint 2013 Standard (which is virtually the same as a 61RI) for $950 shipped. Last week I saw a player grade (no breaks though) 2005 for $600 locally.

That being said, I'd pass unless you can get it for about half what he is asking. Especially since you still need to pay to have it touched up.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time, even for $500 I'd pass. People fix broken headstocks out of necessity and somehow they always end up for sale.

This in spades, even if it feels great now in it's current condition and plays great, geating that headstock break repaired - that's beyond cracked, will change how the guitar feels and plays, I don't care how good the luthier is that does the repair work is, it will alter the way the guitar feels and plays, it could alter it for the better, or the worse, it could go either way.

So unless we are talking US$300.00 and below, and I'm leaning towards the US$200.00 side of below US$300.00, I would walk away. The repair work and refinishing to hide the break will be a few hundred, probably close to US$500.00 to get it done by a well respected and good luthier. I wouldn't give it the time of day, unless we are talking about a vintage instrument. Even with a vintage Gibson SG I would expect a very hefty discount over what a players condition would be expected to sell for, for one with that sort of a beack in it, especially since the seller hasn't bothered to have it repaired themselves.

Which brings me to another point, why hasn't the seller had it repaired? Do they themselves not think it is a good enough representation of that year and model of Gibson SG to pay what it would cost to have it repaired.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom