quickie about the box of rocks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sonic Reducer, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Just got a vexter. When turning up the drive or boost, both pots are pretty loud. Is that normal?

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

The one I tried did the same thing.

From www.zvex.com/boxofrock:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]" The Drive and Boost controls are based on my original Super Hard-On gain control, so they may crackle when turned. This is perfectly normal." [/FONT]

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Yeah the handpainted one I had was the same.

4. Montez

Montez Member

The crackle is normal. it is the same as on the SHO and SuperDuper. The pots have dc current flowing through them.

The crackle can get pretty loud, particularly if there is high gain pedals behind it. The suggestion is to bypass the pedal when turning the pots.

Two of my pedals crackle also. There is actually a very good technical reason to setup the gain adjustment this way. Consider it part of the Mojo.;)

5. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

i have recently received some new pots for the box of rock handpainted version which have audio taper. this will make the volume control on the distortron engine side have a more smooth rise as it's turned... 9:00 becomes about 11:00 or noon now. the volume still gets as loud, just at a different rate. these pots will be used in future batches of the Vexter as well, but not right away because of availability.

6. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Zachary,

While we're on the subject of BoR improvements...

I was all set to order a Vextor BoR, but I'm holding off because of reading some complaints by early adopters that the bass response is too overpowering for certain setups. Any chance you're considering adding an internal bass trimpot to the circuit (assuming this is possible)?

Thanks!!

7. peequin

peequin Member

Just a thought but...

The bass response of the BoR is part of the mojo behind the pedal. All pedals based off a 'Marshall' have an extended bass response. The deep lows are their most important characteristic. Just as sparkly-ness/clarity is an important characteristic of your typical 'Fender' sound.

It's what makes the BoR sound like a JTM45. Take it away and it doesn't "rock" anymore.

I think the woofiness everyone is talking about may be a culprit of and individual's amp/speaker combination. Zach built it to be voiced with a Marshall-type amp.

That being said, it would be good to have a presence knob to cater to a wider range of users. MI Audio did this with their version 2 of the Crunch Box, after many people complained that it sounded too dark.

But for me, the BoR is just about perfect in every way...

8. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

+ 1, the bass thing is essential in this pedal ; it says "Marshall"

I wouldnt mind a less "quick" volume knob though, I wonder if Zach will offer the mod...

9. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

i will not be re-voicing the Box of Rock. it sounds the way it's designed to sound.

i can contact Ashley about offering a mod (if there is one offered, it will appear on the website under mods).